Oaxaca City

Oaxaca Travel Blog

We arrived this morning at 2am after another 10 hour bus ride although it was probably 11 hours since we arrived over an hour late. There was also plenty of confusion before we left as exactly on that day they changed from Summer time to Winter time.  After conferring with the family that we stayed with and seeing about 3 or 4 different times, not all of which differed by nice round multiples of an hour but also had some offsets of 20 minutes thrown in, I decided on a time we looked up on the internet and planned our beach trip and departure time based on that. When we got back to the homestay from the beach, our host mother was quite agitated as she said it was late so after a quick lunch we set off with what they said was only 20 minutes until the bus left but I was quite sure it was more like an hour and a half. When we got to the bus stop it turned out that they had indeed been right and we had about 15 minutes before the bus left. No trouble in the end but a bit close for comfort.

After only getting to sleep at around 3am and getting up at 7:30am or so, we were quite tired and missed our spanish lesson for today. Luckily the school is quite flexible and we are starting the course with them tomorrow. Having the day off we had a little amble around the town, visited a local market and tried some of their chocolate drinks for which this area is famous. The chocolate was actually very interesting and nice, it had some different flavours mixed in like cinamon and something else we couldn't identify.

I was quite keen to just get back to the hostel and chill for the rest of the day, and used to catch up on my postcard writing, some of which I've been carrying with me since France. We also cooked for ourselves today, our first time in Mexico, which Nicole was pretty happy about - pasta with tomato and garlic sauce, a favourite we perfected in France. Now spending a bit of time on the internet and then it's time for bed.

Oaxaca