The Luberon - Mont Ventoux

Bedoin Travel Blog

We drove along one of the marked routes for the Luberon, specifically the one marked for natural beauty, which took us through the beautiful gorge that we had navigated the night before.

Afterwards we drove up Mont Ventoux which is famous in the Tour de France and quite an incredible climb which starts at an altitude of about 600m and takes you all the way to the top of the mountain at 1909m with tarred roads right to the top. However when we were there there was the most incredible fog, that is to say the mountain was covered in clouds, with probably the worst visibility I've experienced in my life. We drove the last 10km at a speed of 30km/h or so following the red tailights of the car about 2m in front of us because that's all that I could see. The drive was interesting although we unfortunately didn't see anything. The whole time there are tons of cyclists everywhere as they try to measure themselves against the likes of Armstrong and Ulrich. It was actually incredibly cold that day and I happened to have a thermometer with me which we had hanging out the window and from bottom to top the temperature dropped from an already chilly 18 degrees to about 7degrees and less with windchill. I really didn't envy the cyclicsts.

As this was to be our last night in the Luberon, we decided to treat ourselves to a dinner at Pasta & Basta. The food was homemade and nice and large in quantity, so much so that I needed an emergency digestiv afterwards just to keep things together. During dinner the rain started, and although we had luckily set up the tent before I hadn't anticipated the rain. The tent held up ok but the groundmat had been peeling paint the whole trip and now we saw that beyond the annoyance of waking up covered in black stardust every morning, this had actually compromised its waterproofing. Thus we ended up covering the floor in towels to soak up the moisture and tried our best to balance on our newly acquired floormats which are about a 1cm high and provided some promise of dryness as long as you managed not to let anything dangle over the side. To make matters worse, the digestiv provided only temporary relief and with a gastrointestinal emergency immeninent I had no choice but to leave the relative comfort of our shelter to dash through the rain to the ablution block.  Overall this was the worst night so far.

photo by: matjaz003