The Itapuranga III

Manaus Travel Blog

Ok, it seems that we are really going to leave today. We've just come back from hanging up our hammocks on the boat called the Itapuranga III. Here are my first impressions from the boat.

We finally got our official boat tickets this morning after handing over the rest of the money because we bought the tickets through a tour agency here (we made sure we checked their offices first). We then headed to the harbour and tried to get onto the quay but were told that with our tickets we couldn't because we hadn't bought them at the offical office but instead had to walk around. Some warning bells but let's try walking around still not quite sure why we couldn't walk onto the main quay. After a 10min walk around to the cargo entrance we found the guy who gave us our tickets and promised to put up our hammocks still punting tickets. He agreed to go with us on the boat and put up the hammocks. We then went down to a small dock and got onto a little lancha which ferried us across to the main boat where we then had to climb over the railing onto boat. All quite adventurous I tell you. I still don't quite understand the system but something about "federal", seems like we didn't pay taxes or something and hence got the tickets cheaper.

The boat itself looks ok. Still relatively empty and our hammocks look to be in a good space. Somehow having seen the boat makes me feel better about the trip. I'm sure it will be quite an adventure though!

Manaus