Horseback trip to Chamula

San Cristobal de Las Casas Travel Blog

After the horseback adventure we had in Lesotho in 2005, I was initially hesitant to get on another horse but then decided that it had actually been a lot of fun in the end so I couldn't let Nicole have all the fun on her own here. Plus it was a good way to get to one of the traditional villages in the area here.

We only had an hour in Chamula so we only really got to look at the church which is the main attraction anyway. Although Catholic by denomination, their religion here is an odd mix of catholicism and traditional beliefs. The main spot in the church is occupied by St. John the Baptist with Jesus delegated to a side spot. We had heard and read about chicken sacrifices taking place and although we didn't actually see one we did see two or three people with chickens in bags in the church. There were a lot of people lighting thousands of candels and chanting in front of them, as well as rows of Coca-Cola bottles and other soft drinks which I think also form some sort of sacrifice although I haven't yet understood what exactly they do with them. A very different and interesting experience compared to any other catholic church I've been too.