Guayaquil stopover

Guayaquil Travel Blog

On the way to Guayaquil we had to cross the border into Ecuador. I'm not sure at what time we got there but I had already been asleep and was enjoying some deep dreams when we were suddenly shaken awake and led into the immigration offices, first on the Peruvian side and then on the Ecuadorian side.

I had no problems thanks to my trusty EU passport but the customs official was taking his time with Nicole's passport. Then someone else was called who took the passport away to a backroom and we were left standing there wondering. I inquired as to what the problem might be but the customs officer told me that there was no problem so we just had to wait. Nicole was starting to look nervous which was no surprise after what happened in Colombia and now again there was an unexplained and unmotivated delay. We both had the same stamps and 30 day visas so our documents were definitely in order. Sure enough after 5 minutes the door opened again and the passport was returned. I tried to enquire another time what the issue had been but was told that there hadn't been a problem so it will forever remain a mistery. Anyway, I was quite tired and happy to get back into the bus to carry on sleeping. Other than that little incident the formalities were quick and painless and they didn't even look at or search our bags despite this having been described as one of the worst border crossings on the continent in some of the guidebooks.

We arrived in Guayaquil an hour early at 5am instead of 6am. The terminal is very nice and organised though and together with two swiss girls (who I noticed kept switching between Swiss-German and French mid sentence - they were from Fribourg which apparently is bilingual) we looked around for a bus to Montanita. There was a direct bus but we would have to wait 2 hours so instead we took a bus to Santa Elena where we would have to switch buses again but at least it left immediately.
photo by: ErikaMont