Ferry ride to Puerto Cortes

San Pedro Sula Travel Blog

We awoke at 3am to a loud sound almost like a compressor which turned out to be unbelievably hard rain and wind. After falling asleep again we were woken up a little later, maybe around 6am or so, to awesome lightning and the most loud and extended thunder I have ever heard which actually made our room shake. "Oh great, just the weather we need for going on a boat across the open ocean to another country" I thought.

By about 9am we made our way through the rain to the dock where the ferry was supposed to leave at 9:30am. To get out of the rain the captain let us get on the boat ahead of time to sit in the dry inside. The first surprise was the rather small speed boat instead of the ferry boats I'm used to seeing in Europe. After waiting half an hour and noticing that we don't seem to be leaving anytime soon, which was not unexpected given the thunderstorm we witnessed earlier and which I'd rather not encounter again on the open sea, we ask the captain about what's happening. He tells us that there is a "tropical wave" coming up the coast from Nicaragua and Honduras and we're going to stay here for a bit to monitor the conditions and we'll be in port for at least another hour. Nicole and I decide to use the opportunity to go for breakfast which had to skip due to running low on time and thought we could do without since it's only supposed to be a one and a half to two hour boat ride anyway.

... (very entertaining story to be filled in)...

boat ride,