Crossing Central America - Day 1

San Salvador Travel Blog

 › entry 65 of 184 › view all entries

We got up at 2:30 am to wait outside the gate for a 3am shuttle that might possibly exist according to one source although most people told us the earliest shuttle is at 4am. Well, it turns out the 3am shuttle did exist and arrived at about 3:30am. We got on and surprisingly didn't get any sleep all the way to Coban as this was once again, possibly the most dangerous bus ride I have been on in my life. We got to Coban just before 6am and were hustled by various shuttle operators but wanted to take the Monja Blanca "Pullman" bus to Guatemala City instead. After being initially told the bus would leave at 6:30 am and then 7am, I think we left at about 7:30 am and got to Guatemala City around 12h00. This was just in time for the only daily Tica bus to Costa Rica at 1pm that we'd been racing all morning to get to. We thus caught a taxi all the way across town to the Tica bus terminal, only to find out there that the bus was full. However they did have space on the connecting bus the next morning from El Salvador to Costa Rica so we booked a ticket on that bus and then tried to find a way to get to El Salvador by 3am. Our helpful taxi driver informed us that he knew from where the 2nd class bus for San Salvador left which goes every hour. Thus another taxi ride across town to the 2nd class bus terminal where we promptly got a ticket for the 13h30 bus to San Salvador, only 30 min behind schedule. Quite impressive.

The bus ride to San Salvador was quite uneventful. There we got a taxi to the Tica bus station which is in what seems the dodgiest part of town and inside the Hotel San Carlos which was a bit pricey but the places across the road just seemed to dodgey and hot so we shelled out the bucks to get a couple of hours sleep before rising at 2:15 again the next morning to catch the bus at 2:45am.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
San Salvador
photo by: Biedjee