Chichen Itza

Chichen Itza Travel Blog

Our Lonely Planet guide suggested that Merida was a good place to buy quality "hamacas" (hammocks) so after informing ourselves about what to look out for and how much we should pay we set off to the hammock shop recommended by our hostel. Their hammocks seemed to be decent and we each opted to go for an individually sized nylon one (#4) as these would be the lightest to carry and the most durable for the months ahead.

We then moved onto the bus stop and took the next bus to Chichen Itza which has just this year been voted one of the new seven wonders of the world. At Piste, which is about 1.5 kms from the Chichen Itza ruins, we checked into the Pyramid Inn resort where you can camp or put up your hammock, in little shelters specifically built for this purpose, for just 50 pesos. This also included use of the swimming pool which were only to happy to make use of as this was the first one we had access to since we've been in Mexico.

After our swim we went to get some dinner at a place just down the road from the Pyramid Inn where I had the Lime soup which was very good. We finished just in time to catch a taxi to the ruins for the nightly Sound and Light Show which starts at 7pm in winter. The show was a little bit kitch but still quite pretty with the main pyramid, ball court and other ruins on the central plaza lit up in red, blue, etc... in the middle of the night. The show itself seems to be just a distraction to keep your attention while they tell you some history and background about the ruins itself which I'm always interested in.  The show is quite expensive but as the fare counts towards the next days entrance ticket I think it is worth it.

The night we spent in our newly acquired hammocks which was pretty interesting. It initially wasn't easily coordinating the hammock with the mosquito net on top of it and the sleeping bag inside. Usually I have no problem with hammocks but being inside a sleeping bag severly restricts your ability to balance and also provides you with a lot less friction against the material of the hammock so I ended up sliding around a lot. Eventually I did get comfortable though and managed to get some good sleep. I'm hoping though that the hammock sleeping experience will improve with practice.
Zabodie says:
Hey Tobie,
tried the same combination of hammock, sleeping bag and mosquito net in the army - NEVER quite got the hang of it - ended up sliding around a lot - let me know the secret if you manage to figure it out.
Take care and enjoy the trip.
Kevin.