Che Mausoleum in Santa Clara

Santa Clara Travel Blog

I was staying in an illegal casa in Varadero which made me uncomfortable. Also, Varadero is very touristy, with no Casa Particulares and only big tourist hotels. The whole town feels very touristic and not very Cuban so I decided to move on to Santiage de Cuba and have a look at the Che Mausoleum in Santa Clara along the way.

The plan was to take the early morning bus from Varadero, which arrives in Santa Clara at 11am and then to get onto the night bus to Santiago at 19h00. Unfortunately when I got to Santa Clara I found the night bus fully booked and could only get a ticket for the 14h00 bus to Santiago. This left me with under two hours to go to the Cadeca to change money (oh yes, I was out of cash as well and had just enough to pay the onward bus ticket but wouldn't be able to pay for a taxi or the casa when I got to Santiago at 1am) and then go to the Mausoleum. Well I found a taxi that took me to the Cadeca and waited for me while I changed the money and then brought me to the Mausoleum where they picked me up an hour later as well. When I first got to the Che Mausoleum an hour actually seemed too much and I didn't know what to do with the time but then I discoverd a Che Museum underneath the Mausoleum which I just managed to get through in the time I had left.

Santa Clara