Bus ride to Lago Atitlan

Panajachel Travel Blog

We got up at 5am to get to the bus station in Rio Dulce by 5:45am and catch the bus to Guatemala City. It was a first class bus and it wasn't actually too bad and by catching up all the missed sleep from the previous night the 6 hour bus ride to Guatemala City actually went by pretty quick.

In Guatemala City we then caught a taxi to the Rubuli bus terminal which seems to be the only one going to Panajachel. This time it was a chicken bus which only left at around 14h30 instead of 13h30 and filled up pretty quickly. There was also a rather exciting episode right at the beginning while we were still driving through Guatemala City as the bus driver suddenly told everyone to get on the floor. Given some of the stories I had heard I thought we were about to get caught up in a drive by shooting or something but it turned out that we were passing a police checkpoint and there is some new law in effect that says people can only get on at a designated spot and not at the company's home terminal as we had done so they were trying to hide that we were on the bus. I'm just glad it wasn't serious as my heart probably stopped for the first 10 seconds of that experience. I think we got to Panajachel shortly after 18h00, so after about a 3 1/2 hour bus ride but I swear it felt a lot longer than the one in the morning.

We got there after dark so we couldn't really see the lake at all. This morning it is a beautiful day but the view is still blocked by buildings, so as soon as we're done emailing we'll go down to the shore and catch the boats to San Pedro or San Marcos.
Panajachel