Boa Vista

Boa Vista Travel Blog

Our departure from Santa Elena was delayed by a couple of days because I came down with the worst case of diarrhoea I've ever had and then I also tripped and sprained my ankle on the way to get some pizza. After an extra two days in Santa Elena we had positively nothing to do there anymore and after a short trip to the Cuban doctors at the "Misiona Barrio Adentro" where I received some great medical care from a Cuban  doctor completely for free and who declared me to only have a small sprain we decided to brave the bus trip nonetheless, with me hobbeling along supported on Nicole's shoulder for the most part.

From Santa Elena we took a taxi to the border, who waited for us at the DIEX on the Venezuelan side and the Brazilian immigration before dropping us off at the bus terminal on the Brazilian side. The border crossing was actually very quick with only the Venezuelan's checking our bags with an x-ray machine and the Brazilians not bothering at all which surprised me because I had heard that this was quite a tough border because of drugs being shipped from Colombia via Venezuela to Brazil and from there to Europe.

So at about 13:30 we found ourselves at the bus terminal, having just missed the 1pm bus to Boa Vista with the next one scheduled only for 4pm which we weren't so sure if it would leave us sufficient time to catch a night bus to Manaus from Boa Vista. However it turned out that the time was actually 2pm (30min time difference between Brazil and Venezuela that we'd forgotten about) and the lady at the ticket booth spoke Spanish and was able to book our tickets straight to Manaus saying we'd get to Boa Vista by 7pm and there were still two buses to Manaus that night at 8pm and 8:40pm.

While buying our tickets we also met an interesting young dutch artist who was travelling to Brazil to meet a german friend of his who bought a plot of land there some months ago and now lives there growing vegetables. Our new friend was going to join him for 6 weeks and help him build a water mill to generate some electricity on his property. To get there apparently he had to take the bus to Independence (or something like that) which was an hour before Manaus, then a local bus to another village and from there it was a 15km walk to his friend's property but his friend was picking him up in Independence. It sounded quite fascinating and I wish them the best of luck to get their water mill working.

We arrived in Boa Vista on time and the only real surprise was the heat and humidity there. We could also see that language was going to be a problem here in Brazil but for the moment we were quite happy just to stare in awe at all the little goodies we could buy at the bus terminal that were unavailable in Venezuela, like a wide range of chocolates. We couldn't do that for too long though because 30 minutes later it was time to get onto our overnight bus to Manaus.
Boa Vista