trip to Louisiana, lost hotel reservation, and chinese buffet

Humlebaek Travel Blog

At the Louisiana

On the Saturday, Allie and I took our trip to the Louisiana museum.  We left about lunchtime, and it was roughly an hour's journey to Humlebaek on a very comfortable s-tog train.  You can get a combined train and museum ticket in the stations.

Louisiana is out on the coast, a bit further up than Copenhagen.  it was very easy to find form the station, which was a bit of a relief as we were both kind of sleepy after the late night bus the night before.  From the front, it looked like a normal sized old house converted to a museum.  inside, it became apparent that it was huge.  I'm not going to go into masses of detail about the exhibition or the facilities - I'll do you a review - but it was totally amazing.

Louisiana art museum
  Lunch was really good, and as it turned out, I was really glad we ate there because dinner got a bit delayed.  My absolute favourite was the Avedon retrospective, which had some amazing photo portraits in it, especially one of a tired, harrassed looking Marilyn Munroe, who had apparently given up posing for him for the day and didn't mind him keeping working.  There was a Lucien Freud exhibition, which I sort of glossed over because he really isn't my sort of thing at all, some more general permanent collections of modern and contemporary art, a gorgeous collection of Islamic book illustrations, and the sculpture collection outide, which I think I enjoyed most of all.  There was also the obligatory couple kissing in front of everything you were trying to look at including the shop.  I believe this is actually a European directive, that they have to be there.

We had intended to go out to dinner, but by the time we got back to the university and then out to the airport hotel, it was getting really late.  The hotel had lost the reservation, and we went to dinner at the Chinese Buffet across the road just as it was getting ready to close.  Dinner was nice, and they didn't make us feel hurried.  By the time we got back, the hotel reception guy had managed to find us a room and we were very grateful to get there.

hotel review at http://www.travbuddy.com/Quality-Airport-Dan-Hotel-Copenhagen-v136928

Louisiana art museum
Theyre eyes, apparently.  By Loui…
They're eyes, apparently. By Lou…
Humlebaek