Twilight in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Jenneth and me

Last Friday, Jenneth and I finally had a chance to meet up, and we went to Boom Chicago on the Leidseplein.  I'll post a proper review here on that, so the journal is going to be a ramble about the other things that I did that evening.

I arrived in Amsterdam very early, allowing for my awful sense of direction, and wearing my new Hat (it's a very good Hat indeed - designed for a 12 year old boy and purchased in H and M, but still, much better than the ones they're selling for girls this year).  Coming out of the station, twilight was settling over the city.  There really isn't a better time to turn up in a city than twilight in Autumn - not too cold yet, and you can see both the neon and the architecture, the streets are relatively empty, as the day people go home and the night people haven't come out yet.

Leidseplein theatre from the second row of the balcony
..  I wandered up to Leidseplein, getting cheerfully lost (in well lit areas, I promise!) on the way, with the smell of woodsmoke drifting up the canals, and got where I was going (Via a very cool, if contriversial, graffito of Anne Frank wearing a prayer scarf - I need to go back in daylight and see if it's still there) in plenty of time to save seats for Jenneth and her friend.

After Boom Chicago (review separately, but in summary, it was very good!) we went for Thai food in a nearby restaurant and the food was spicy and excellent, had a drink in café Dante and I'll have to find out where that is for y'all coz it was nice too, and I got the train home.  It still amazes me how the trains run all night, and are actually safe.  In the UK I would've been stranded in London if I'd stayed out past midnight, and the last trains home would've been full of city types drunk enough to shout at each other or try to chat me up.  I love this country.

Jenneth and me
Leidseplein theatre from the secon…
Leidseplein theatre from the seco…
Café Dante bar from above
Café Dante bar from above
Leidseplein theatre
Leidseplein theatre
Amsterdam Nightlife & Entertainment review
Boom Chicago use a combination of improv and scripted comedy, along with video sketches set in Amsterdam. The night I went was the Wild West show, wh… read entire review
Amsterdam