Copenhagen Travel Blog

Tivoli Gardens

once we finished at the lab, Allie's supervisor Salim took us into Copenhagen.  We went shopping on the long shopping street, and got dinner in a very nice Mexican Restaurant.  Dinner was lovely, and we caught up on what we'd been up to since the trip to Amsterdam.

After that we went to TIvoli Gardens, which had just re-opened for the Christmas Season.  All the rides were running twice because there weren't many people there, which in one way was excellent.  Unfortunately, it proved all too hard for my poor tummy.  My tummy did not appreciate getting up at 3am, hurtling through Europe in a plane, eating breakfast at ten am, then eating spicy food, going on a rollercoaster twice (the Odin Express, one of the oldest coasters still in use), getting plummetted in freefall twice, and then going on the swings.  I did tell it that it was a lucky tummy getting to go on the rides all by itself, but unfortunately it let me down badly and I was very, very sick.  Doubly embarrassing as I was pretty sober (a little wine with dinner), and I bet everyone thought I was just a drunk.  Poor tummy.  Still, not to be perturbed, I cleaned myself up as best I could and we went to meet Salim for a drink.  On the walk, my stomach and I made up.  We went to a really cool bar somewhere, and then we went home.

Tivoli Gardens
I had to get up at 3.15am to catch my flight here, and when I arrived, I honestly felt that parts of me were still floating over Germany somewhere midflight.  After a nap, I now feel a lot more human- I used to always swear that keeping going was a better idea because if you slept then you'd end up feeling tired.  I'm wondering if my new appreciation for naps is a sign of getting old.  But boy, do I love naps now.

I've only just arrived, and am filling in this entry mostly because I feel sorry for Lyngby, which has no entries at all for anything on this site and it seems like a nice enough town and an enormous Uni.  This morning's grateful shout outs go to:

NS Dutch rail for running through the night so that I didn't have to get a hotel.  I would have had to get up almost as early to catch my flight even if I had stayed at the airport, and had far fewer pennies to spend here.
Bar somewhere

The cafe near Lyndby station where I got breakfast - apple cake and a fantastic hot chocolate - at ten am this morning.  I was nearly fainting and felt like hell, and the cake and hot chocolate tasted like heaven.
The really cute Australian on the flight, just for being unbelievably cute - I know it's shallow, but it did make the flight a lot nicer.

Allie is finishing up her PhD experiments here, and hadn't quite finished when I got there.  This meant that I had to hang out in the Uni for a while.  In a way that was a shame, coz we'd planned to go to a museum that afternoon.  As it happens, though, we spent the whole day there the next day so it was just as well!  I got to see the complicatedology machine.  Officially it's a Romain (or something - isn't that a kind of lettuce anyway?) spectoscropy machine.  It looks properly scifi - there's a lazer that shines at a sample and goes bright green when it hits a dust particle.  We had lunch and philosophical debates with her colleagues, one of whom is the grandson of Niels Bohr, and I happily quoted Kipling poems to make points about Imperialism and tried to follow which women had been undercredited for what discoveries in the conversation.  Eventually, the machine had done its thing, and we headed into Copenhagen...
Aopaq says:
I couldn't agree more about the power of naps...problem for me is I usually have them while at work....oops! :)
Posted on: Nov 16, 2007
Copenhagen Sights & Attractions review
Tivoli Gardens is an amusement park in Copenhagen. It's one of the oldest in the world, and when I went, had re-opened for teh Christmas season and t… read entire review
Copenhagen Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
mama rosa's is a Mexican restaurant in the main pedestrianised shopping area in Copenhagen. Spread over several floors, it is pleasantly lit and deco… read entire review
Copenhagen