Sweetski and a few more museums

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Magna Plaza

On my last day alone in the Netherlands, I had a busy day planned - two museums and a meeting with Sweetski, whose real name is Rudolph, and had invited me to lunch.  And of course I overslept.  Busy busy.

The first museum I wanted to see was FOAM, which specialises in photography.  It had two exhibitions on at the time I went.  The first one - Ryan McGinley - is contemporary photography.  Apparently he's a real rising star.  This particular exhibition is about a road trip he and his mates went on.  All of his mates are young, good looking, and went on this road trip without taking any clothes at all.  Some of them appear very... er... affectionate with each other.  I enjoyed this exhibition, but I did feel slightly dodgy wandering round it on my own!  The other one was Weegee, a depression era freelance photojournalist.

Iguanas
  Many decapitated gangsters, and some haunting press shots.  Fewer naked friends.

I finished looking round FOAM in good time to make it back to Amsterdam Centraal to meet Rudolph.  Rudolph, if you ever meet him, is easy to find because he is very very tall.  Of course, he's also quite charming and good fun, but you won't know that till you've actually talked to him!  We had lunch in the Magna Plaza shopping centre where there is a nice cafe and then went to the Rijksmuseum.  On the way, my hat flew into the canal and I swore like an absolute navvie.  If I can just apologise to him for that again?  It was really lovely to go around the Rijksmuseum with someone who actually knows about painting, which he obviously cares a lot about, and learn a bit of the cultural background.

My hat!
  it turns out that the Dutch and the British had a whole war in 1700something that I never heard about - and that the Dutch were supplying us with weapons throughout!  Then we had a lovely beer in the Bar American in the American hotel, which was great, and I had to rush back to meet my brother.

Doug and I were glad to see each other, and after a small amount of fuss, then we went to get a burger in stairway to heaven, drank some cocktails in Apperitivo, and went to our respective homes.  The cocktails were amazing.  It was a really great night!

Rudolph
Rudolph
I should give up trying to be arti…
I should give up trying to be art…
Amsterdam Sights & Attractions review
FOAM is a photography museum in Amsterdam, and it is brilliant, although it is currently renovating bits. it is light, airy, and has a little shop an… read entire review
Amsterdam