Didgeridoos. Really. In Utrecht.

Utrecht Travel Blog

The aboriginal art museum

This weekend was busy, and a little strange.  And it started with didgeridoos.

Actually, it started with one of my characteristic little wanders, and a vague idea to get a start made on the Christmas shopping.  But as I wandered past the Aboriginal Art Museum on Oudegraacht, I noticed that there was Something Happening.  After watching a group of men unloading what was obviously a very precious art thing from a van (always a guilty pleasure, that one!), and noticing people leaving the museum with stuffed koala, I decided to ignore my reservations about the museum and see if my museumkaart and I could see what was going on.

The reservations, in fairness, were to do with the tone of the reviews I'd read online.  Not on this site, I'm pleased to say, but a lot of them seemed to express an irritating, patronising attitude, and I'm afraid my desire to go strangle the reviewers had spread to my attitude to the museum.

more wandering
  I was glad to see that that attitude was nothing to do with the museum itself.  Unfortunately, it was quite hard to see much of the art itself when I was there and I will have to go back to see any of the sculptures, because the Something that was Happening was an Australian tourist/emmigration event, in aid of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

As part of this, there were didgeridoo lessons.  I can now make the noise like a distant ship's horn, but not the noise like a swarm of particularly musical bees.  Largely because I giggle too much.  The workshop, or something similar, only runs monthly normally but for the fair there were several during the day.  And it was really, really good fun.  Then I ate some meat pies and drank some australian wine - I'm not sure that top class shiraz and meat pies are the usual combination, but it was an extremely satisfying one.

I also bought a little painting that I think looks like a small snake made of dots coming out of a labyrinth.  I don't know if this is what the artist had in mind, but that's what I think it looks like.  I felt really drawn to the colours and the movement in the swirlydots.  It's too well wrapped to upload a picture, so you'll have to take my word that it is very cool indeed.

After that, I went and got a coffee, then went home to get ready for museumnaacht, when things got really random...

WarrenRodwell says:
Yes, worked the NZ connection out pretty quickly myself when I visited Zeeland in the Netherlands
The Dutch really were prolific sea explorers ;-}
sarahelaine says:
Thanks Warren. I'll definately check out that link. I was aware of the shared history - "New Zealand" is a bit of a giveaway - I just wasn't expecting to get to share it!
WarrenRodwell says:
The name "New Holland" was first applied to Australia in 1644 by Dutchman Abel Tasman

more wandering
view from my room at some point la…
view from my room at some point l…
Utrecht