Patong in the night!

Patong Travel Blog

thai boxing

After a long tiring and disappointing day..Camilo and I didnt know what else to do.  It was our last night in Phuket as we are heading to Krabi the next day.  I wanted to go around town and ride a toktok, while Camilo was hungry and wanting to eat good food. The combination of our wants was easy to mix, however Camilo didnt really like the thought of going into a toktok.  As soon as we got dressed for dinner, we went down to the reception.  We didnt know where to go so we collected some fliers to help us make a decision.  One of the fliers indicates a cabaret show that includes dinner, Camilo and I thought it was a good idea.

thai boxing - men
  I was still insisting on going via toktok while Camilo wanted to go via taxi.  So, we decided whatever comes first whether toktok or taxi it's what we will take.  We waited for 10 mins and Camilo gave up.  He said the idea was ridiculous, so he ran to the reception and rented a motorbike.  I havent really got into a motorbike in Thailand and I dont really know Phuket much, so the thought of it was creepy to me.  While Camilo was trying testing the motorbike I asked the receptionist to mark places to go in the map.  I noticed that most things are in one place "Patong"... aha..I've been there before..but I have no idea how to get there from where we were.  The receptionist convinced me that it will be an easy find.
thai boxing - women

I didnt like to be in a motorbike, it scares me specially in Asia when people are driving crazy and the road is slippery after the rain. Camilo was like a pro driving the motorbike, however his mind works the opposite.  when you tell him to slow down, he speeds off. So, I developed one talent that night.  To shut up and just cling to the driver and sometimes just closed my eyes and laughter follows. hahaha..we had fun! I started asking myself why I havent done this before!

When we reached Patong, it was easy to tell - the streets were crowded, lots of lights and lots of tourists. I have been to Patong before and it was still the same Patong I knew.  Soon enough Camilo realized the many working girls around the area.  I didnt tell by the way... he figured it out and he started swearing.  "mucha putita!!! joder!"...I was just laughing with every word Camilo has to say.  He felt bad seeing the girls (not even a woman!) parading their body on the streets and disgusted by old tourists tagging them along.  For me it was a sight I've seen before so, it didnt came as a surprise.  Camilo is not a person who would enjoy pubs and discos so the sight was not pleasant.  We drove off to the main street and gazed at the many bars and restaurants.  We were so happy to see Hagenz Daz - and made a mark to come back after dinner.  Not far away we saw an Italian flag painted on the wall from a distance, we figured it out it was a place we can grab dinner.  It was not as crowded as most, so we thought perhaps the food was not that good.  Camilo found a parking just outside the restaurant.  We had a pizza and varieties of pasta. The food was very good, couldnt believe we are not in Italy.  After dinner, the thought of Hagenz Daz was still haunting us.  So, we hurried out of the restaurant, left the motorbike and walk back towards Hagenz Daz.  We underestimated the distance, we thought it was just a few blocks away but we walked and walked.  By the time we got there, we both felt we wanted to have another dinner.  After the ice cream, we thought of going to see Thai Boxing, it was already 10pm when we reached the coliseum so we bargained for the VIP seats.  We paid 1000 Baht for 2 seats instead of 2500 baht.  The place was packed but the seats we got in were just a few and all of them tourists.  The first couple of fights were women, it looks fake to me though as if they were doing the kind of wrestling on TV.  The following fights were kids of about 10-12 years old.  I didnt really appreciate it.  Camilo didnt like it either, it was painful to see kids box each other and the parents were on the side of the ring betting on them.  After the kids, the women came back.  And finally the last 2 bouts were men, of real age.  We both thought it was the highlight of the night.  The fight got over around 1 am, so we went out quickly.  It was easy to get our way through the crowd, Camilo is towering and well built so with that he easily gets the way out. The drive back to the hotel was easy. By then, I already know the techniques - close my eyes, hold camilo tight and just laugh. What a day and night??!!!

Patong