A week in the Pearls of the Adriatic Sea

Tremiti Islands Travel Blog

I was starting a new job and would not be allowed any time off for the foreseeable future so we had to plan a quick getaway before I started. He wanted diving and so found out about a little known set of islands just off the south-east coast of Puglia in Italy. We took a plane to Bari, then a train to the coast where we picked up a ferry. The island was tiny, with literally about 10 streets and maybe 200 people living there, or so it felt. There were about 5 hotels, a church, post office, about 5 restaurants and basically that was about it!

The hotel we stayed at was lovely, and having seen the rest of town I consider us very lucky as the others we passed seemed quite shabby.
The view from the veranda right outside our door was breath-taking.

We spent our days wandering around the island, where we were treated with some curiosity. It seemed they weren't used to anglo-white-Brits, and we definitely felt that this wasn't a place normally frequented by tourists. As such, we loved it, for it's shabby charm and for it's outstanding seafood! The restaurants we visited were very quiet and the waiters and owners very helpful and attentive. The food was very simply made but stuffed full of different types of seafood. In fact, we rather began to think they were trying to intimidate us by bringing us ever more interesting dishes with fish tails and shells. Little did they know there's not much putting us off seafood...

My partner enjoyed some amazing diving and I wandered through the forests, spanning the island from end to end, up and down leafy pathways around the cliffs.
Near our hotel was a path leading down to a rocky beach where we could sunbathe on the rock or sling up the hammock in the shade. The blue green of the sea was quite unlike anything either of us had seen before, the most exquisite colour. Unfortunately though the sea beckoned, the rather evil looking pointy black sea urchins kept us at bay.

There was little here except for the locals and not speaking any Italian we couldn't even locate a post office, let alone a bar of any kind. An embarrasing exchange with a man, as I desperately tried to ask for the post office, but using french inflection, is probably the main catalyst to me beginning to learn Italian last year! Despite this however we felt we'd found a true gem, somewhere the Italians holiday but is never opened up to the tourist market. We felt privileged to have found it and hope to return some day.
Tremiti Islands