Gettysburg, PA to Lancaster, PA

Lancaster Travel Blog

6/2/06

Gettysburg, PA to Lancaster, PA

Big thunder and lightening storm again with many flood warnings throughout the night in surrounding areas.  We didn’t “do” Gettysburg because of all the time we spent there last year…. if you do get a chance to visit there is lots to see.  The local campgrounds all have shuttles that go back and forth making it extremely easy to see everything in the area.  We set up the RT once and spent the next three days utilizing the shuttles.

We took off for York first thing this morning and found the Harley Davidson Plant was in operation.  Dave and I had the best tour of the production line.

Amish farms..love the sky
  It was fully operational (last year it was not operating at the time of our tour).  Well worth revisiting.  Driving through York we saw many “street rods” as it was the big weekend car show at the fair grounds. What a pleasure to see a little beauty tucked in here and there amongst the traffic and a close up look at the ten that parked in the HD parking lot.

We found a very nice campground for two nights by Maple Grove and parked in the “back forty” all by ourselves….very quiet.

Dave and I had the best evening with friends at Shady Maple Smorgasbord in Blue Ball, PA. YUM if you want good food and lots of it Shady Maple is the place to go!!    Georgene filled me in on what I missed in April with our quilting group’s FabFest, checked my local map and pinpointed the location of shops I wanted to visit, and shared some luscious freshly picked strawberries. There was another thunder and lightening show again tonight…lots of rain too.

Gas @ Lancaster, PA…..$2.759…………14mpg

6/3/06

Lancaster, PA

I was in shopping heaven today.  Dave and I drove all over the Amish area of Lancaster County visiting the fabric shops that I missed out on by not being at FabFest with the “girls”.  I must admit it is so much more fun with the gang…it was a little lonesome today, Dave just doesn’t ooh and aah like we girls do.  LOL  Had a good visit with Nancy Brown, the new owner of Burckholders.  She is also from WA so we had lots to chat about.  Dave did enjoy the visit to Zooks in Intercourse, PA  well not Zooks really but the Pretzel store right next door.  Ya just gotta try their freshly made garlic or onion and sour cream or sesame seed pretzels. We liked all three!!!  I never get tired of driving throughout the farm country, passing the horse and buggies and seeing the fields being plowed with the horses……Amish country.  111 miles later we headed back to the campsite only to find it pitch black due to the power being out because of a car accident around the bend from the campground.  Went to bed early and got a good nights sleep.

Lancaster