Custer, SD to Bowman, ND

Bowman Travel Blog

We were up and out by 7:10 this morning hoping to find buffalo on the Wildlife Loop in Custer Park.  We saw more turkeys, Pronghorn and deer but not a single buffalo until we were about five minutes from leaving the park.  We came around a corner and there was the herd along side the road in a grassy, wooded area.  Dave stopped and I was able to get five or six really good photos of the critters.  The babies still had the orange color hides.  We were both pleased as punch cause we were beginning to think we would get skunked and not see them.

We continued on up Iron Mountain Road to view Rushmore; even though we have seen it before it still is a moving sight.

We headed out to Sturgis, just missing the big rally by one weekend.  How lucky can one get for not knowing the dates of the Sturgis blast?  It is no place to be with an RV I’m sure, bikes only!  I was surprised to see it was still in one piece after having 500,000 people there for the week.

Stopped for lunch at Applebee’s in Spearfish and ordered Crispy Orange Chicken Rice Bowl, yum, even had half left over for dinner.  We usually eat from foods in the RV so eating out was a treat.

We drove through miles and miles of wheat and grazing lands, on into ND.  Found a Corp of Engineers Dam and Reservoir with a campground to stay for the night.

Gas @ Rapid City….$3.099
WaltJake says:
I'm glad you found the buffalo...we had the same issue- we saw ONE when we entered the park, but didn't see the herd until we were almost out!
Posted on: Mar 18, 2007
wishfultravel says:
John has a car buddy that moved from DE to Custer. He lives on the main road (US Highway 16A) into the Park.
Posted on: Aug 25, 2006