Feliz Cumple... a Peruvian birthday fiesta

Arequipa Travel Blog

My first birthday celebration in Peru.. what would it be like? How does an adult celebrate in Peru? What does the family celebration look like? Is it that much different than our celebrations?

Going to the salon... first off, women go to the salon to get their hair done on a regular basis. They are pampered! I've never gone to a salon to have my hair washed and styled.. never! It was amazing.. I could live with it:) Carmela and I went to the salon, and came out looking absolutely stunning:)

My friend's family and I traveled via our own two feet through the downtown, and across a lovely bridge over to another historic section of Arequipa for lunch. The restaurant overlooked the mountains, the bridge, and a rapidly flowing river.

It was situated high on the cliff, and at times I wondered if we would fall off of it! Not only was it a beautifully created restaurant with a PARK filled with green grass and other items in the center, but there was a blind man playing joyous tunes on his accordian seated on the main stage. We celebrated Carmela's birthday with her son, Diego, her mom, and her boyfriend of 7 years:)

The menu included all sorts of amazing items.. they decided to order the meat platter, which included heart, intestines, kidneys, liver, etc. Every part you could imagine was placed on a grill and served to us. They thought it was quite funny to watch me eat the item and then tell me what it was after I finished swallowing.. it was quite a fun game for them to watch my expression after learning that I had just eaten part of a heart or part of an intestine:) My ultimate favorite item of the day was ricotto relleno.

a great mix of salsa and karoke
If you are EVER in Peru, order that item.. that, and a PISCO SOUR!

It also includes DANCING!!! After traveling around to visit family, we headed off to the karoke bar that everyone loves. It was interesting because everyone has his or her own TV plus you sit on couches. To me it seemed more like a coffee shop than a karoke bar. In between karoke sets, they played salsa music and everyone hit the dance floor to strut their stuff:)

The night ended with a trip back home for some CAKE with extended family and friends as well as a few phone calls ... with the exception of the hair salon, I'd say that it was a pretty typical birthday:)

friends