On to the islands

Nacula Travel Blog

Woke up really early to catch the bus to get on the boat, still very tired. The boat was actually really nice, it was a catermaran with a nice but of air con inside. I was suprised at just how beautiful the islands were and it was great to see them. It was a 5 hour ferry ride to Nacula which was as far north as you could go and I went to Nabua Lodge.

It was very basic here, run by the Local Fijians and there were only 8 toursits on the island. Outside toilet, outisde shower which was a carefully plumbed garden hose and I stayed in a small little hut with two germans and a dutch guy. I quickly discovered how good hammocks in Fiji are and read my book in it for a bit and caught a cheeky nap aswell. Over a dinner of soup followed by fish I met Rory and Anna who turned out to be the people who woke me up the night before but they were very nice people so I let them off.

For evening entertainment we were taught the "Bula Dance" which i went on to do at almost every other island I visited. I am not really sure how Fijian this dance actually is as the accompanying music is a bit up beat and it is very similar to the macarena. After most of us did the standard travelling thing and played cards.

With this island being very remote, electricity came from a generator, so there was only electricity from 6pm until 10pm. This made getting in to bed in the pitch black quite tricky.\

Got my tan game going the next morning and then booked my next place to stay over the CB radio as there are no phones on the islands, and hopped back on the boat.

LordJohn says:
Reading!!! That's the 2nd time you've mentioned it in the last 2 weeks. That's more than the previous 15 years!
Posted on: Oct 17, 2007