Sydney Up until Christmas

Sydney Travel Blog

The Opera House

I got to sydney after a quick little flight from melbourne and jumped in a shuttle bus to the airport which was not clearly sign posted. Got to my hostel, Wake Up! which was quite a nice hostel, but a bit expensive. Met up with John and Mo from new zealand fame and they took me on a tour of local drinking establishments. That was a fairly similar occurence in Sydney.

I had an ill month in Sydney, I kept on getting colds and spent about 3 weeks out of the 4 until christmas ill which was not fun and spent a lot of time in bed sleeping, even more than I usually do. Found myself a place to stay with a 62 year old russian man as a flat mate, but I don't often see him and I have my own room and bathroom and have access to 4 swimming pools, a jacuzzi, a gym, and a sauna which is all great fun.

The Harbour Bridge
  It was unbelievably nice to have my own room having spent the previous 3 months sharing rooms, not having people coming in at different times and waking you up. It was also great to be able to unpack all my stuff and not have to play the backpack lottery, sticking your hand in and pulling out something random to wear that day.

Have not done lots of site seeing in sydney as the weather has been disapointing, but heading to the opera house and harbour bridge was amazing. Seeing the opera house made me very aware of being in australia and somewhere I assosciate being on the other side of the world, although it was a little more yellow than I thought it would be, not as silver. The harbour bridge was also great, very imposing as you head in to the harbour, I did not climb it as it costs $200 and you are not allowed to take cameras up for health and safety reasons, but will take a tour up one of the pillars on the bridge where they have a museum for $7 one day.

John, Mo, Mills and Me on a night out

I have not headed to the beaches on account of the bad weather but what I have heard from people is that when there is nice weather the beaches are packed and horrible without enough space to lay a towel down. I did make it down to bondi beach to go and watch miss bondi one afternoon but was dissapointed with the beach. It was quite nice and would probably be nicer in the sunshine but it was not a patch on the beaches in fiji or the cook islands.

Andrew mills also turned up in sydney to do a spot of sailing, so I met up with him and his sailing friends for a few nights out which was good fun, nice to see someone back home. Also saw a few people I had met in New Zealand and so it was nice to see them aswell.

Went job hunting and signed up to a few temping agencies but not with a great success and not a massive effort as a result of my illnesses and christmas and new years on the horizon.

Australian Open Golf
Apparently there are not alot of jobs around this time of year as all the australian busineeses slow down as everyone takes christmas and summer holidays and there are lots of backpackers in sydney looking for temp work, but it is all supposed to pick up in the new year and I will go for a new push to find work.

Located up the road from me is a golf course and it turns out it is the golf course where they hold the australian golf open. I got myself tickets to it. I did not know most of the players there with Stuart Appleby probably being the most famous and I cant even remember the name of the person who won, but I did comment on how fat he was and surely it doesnt make sense being that fat as a sportsman. It rained all day which was not cool. It was very representitive of the weather I had had the whole time I had been in sydney.

Me pretending it was my birthday
In the first month I had about 4 days in total of sunshine with the rest of the time it being mainly overcast but also had flash floods and in west sydney hail stones the size of snooker balls and the area was declared a disaster area.

The Harbour Bridge
John, Mo, Mills and Me on a night …
John, Mo, Mills and Me on a night…
Sydney