Sydney in February

Sydney Travel Blog

John Excited about gladiators

February started off with a lot of rain. All sorts of flash floods with some parts of Sydney receiving a months worth of rain in 30 mins and I managed to get soaked in a torrential down pour. The weather was very reminiscent of the Summer I had last year in London and is not what I was expecting or wanting. I am sure that it is better than February weather back in England where it cold all day and dark really early.

I was watching television when an advert for a new series of Gladiators being filmed in Australia. I was overwhelmed with nostalgia for spandex, john fashanu and referee john anderson “shouting gladiators are you ready?”.

a Lizard
Obviously I was going to get tickets to watch this event. This proved harder than first anticipated as a lot of the shows sold out, but after some searching, the tickets were mine. Me, John and Mo headed off to this monumental event.

On entering the venue we could hear the noise of the event. John, despite being 27 years of age and on antibiotics for the flu he had, jumped in the air like a maniac because he had been overcome with genuine excitement. We got ourself some inflatable gladiator things that you bang together to make noise. It took some convincing as they were for kids which seemed a breach of some age discrimination law. It was really cool in there, wasn’t allowed to take any photos though which was very annoying.

Turtle
It was a bit stop start as they prepared the events and did interviews and mo, who had been out that night and the only sleep he had had was on the street when he left the bar to get some fresh air (he also got woken up by some americans offering him counselling if he was in a bad patch of his life which amused him), fell fast asleep despite all the noise. We got to see loads of classic events such as Hang Tough and the Gauntlet but they filmed the eliminator for a bunch of the shows all on one day. They dished out banners for people to hold and we got ourselves one of those aswell and also manage to position ourselves right behind the referee at one point doing the 3 2 1 and on one giving eachother a big high 5, getting on TV.

I met up with Lilly who I had also met in the Cook Islands and in Fiji, I am fairly sure the only person left who I have met travelling who is still to come to Sydney.

Penguin
I showed her the local bars and also went to the aquarium. The aquarium is pretty good despite it being right in the centre of the city, in Darling Harbour. They have all sorts of different creatures, I think they are all animals you can find in Australia or in the great barrier reef. My favourites were probably the penguins and the seals who were sunning themselves. There is also a really cool underwater walkway with a huge variety of sharks in ranging from smaller reef sharks to great white sharks which are massive and are fairly intimidatins when they swim over your head. Also got to touch star fish and sea erchants which are pretty weird.

That evening I went to see Calvin Harris with john et al. We got tickets on the spur of the moment. It was a mistake. His warm up DJ was brilliant and set the bar high.

Penguins
Then he and his band came out with a bunch of songs that all sounded the same. His two famous songs “Born in the 80’s” and “All the Girls” were good, but then he got moany and said he didn’t believe in encores blah blah blah. Went out and partied afterwards, the place sold bottles of “champagne” for $10, I think that sums up what kind of place it was.

I planned to leave Australia in early march and so needed to get myself an Indian visa. This would be my second attempt. I first tried in London last summer. I took a day off work, got in two different long queues and the Indian High Commision only to be told that I needed to return at a later date as I would be going in 7 months and the visa would expire in 6. After another 2 hour queue in Sydney and providing a flight itinary I had written on a scrap of paper at the counter It was sorted, although it would take 1 week for me to get my passport back.

Seals
This would have been ok exceot I got offered a job the next day, but my Australian working visa was in my passport. So I got back in the queue and queued for 2 hours this time and told to wait until everyone had gone and then they could get me my passport, a very boring day indeed but meant I got a job and was earning some money.

I started working in the city for a stockbrokers checking and transferring money between different accounts, fairly average stuff. Working in Australia is quite different to London. The working day is 8:30 until 5 but most people are late arriving and early leaving. People play music out of radios in the middle of the office and people love to sware and curse at every opportunity. I get some good views of the city from my office, I can see the harbour bridge which is cool and I can also see the opera house in the reflection from a big shiny building which was apparently used in the matrix.

ocwarren says:
Loving your blog...it has taken me so long to catch up.
Posted on: Apr 15, 2008