Road Trip

Milford Sound Travel Blog

The van

We checked out of our hostel and a group of us got ready for a Road Trip to Milford Sound. We picked up our 11 seater minivan and hit the road. We stopped off at the supermarket for supplies first though. It was highway all the way but highways in New Zealand are mainly single lane and this one was windy so we did not get very far very fast.

It was alot of fun though and there was many a joke had in the bus. We took a first toilet break which I waivered in return for a play on the biggest slide I have ever seen in a park, it was also raining so I mopped the slide up with my clothes on the way down. We stopped at a nice little lake for lunch and had a pic nic which is always nice. After lunch it was my turn at the wheel.

In my defense, when not in gear, the stick hangs between 1st and 3rd, not under 3rd as I expected, so there was some crunching of gears and some wrong gears hit.

I also entertained everyone with a few racing lines round corners. The scenary was very nice on the way and I have never seen water so blue as I have from the glacier water in rivers, very nice.

We took another toilet break at Flat Knob for comical reasons and other people had a go driving the car round the car park but only 3 of us had our liscences so could drive. The next obstacle I had to undertake was a really long skinny tunnel which had no lights in. I panicked not knowing where the lights were, but got them on. When I did get them on I kept on getting flashed by cars coming the other way and everyone in the van had a different theory for me as to what I was doing wrong. I finally got the lights off full beam and was glad to be out of the tunnel, but we were now on avalanche road and not aloud to stop incase of one.

A Seal

Milford Sound is very secluded with only one hostel, one cafe/bar and a ferry terminal. We investigated the area and then came back and cooked a group meal, a university classic, spaghetti bolognaise. It turns out that they also celebrate fireworks night in New Zealand aswell, so we went to the bar. As we left to go to the bonfire as coincidences would go, there was a man outside with a big van who had just enough space for all 9 of us to fit in and we went to a big bonfire the locals were having. There was a DJ, fire throwers, a bonfire but no fireworks.

Next morning woke up latish and headed off for our ferry trip around the fiord. Saw lots of cool things like waterfalls, the worlds highest cliff that goes directly in to the sea, dolphins, seals and penguins but no mirror lakes like someone had told me.

A Waterfall
Some people went to the observatory they have there but I did not bother and was glad as they said it was a waste of money.

Headed back and on the way we stopped at a place called Mirror Lakes, there was no mirror lake, again, and I was very angry and threw a stick in to the water. Headed back to queenstown in an uneventful journey, the highlight of it being me and lorcan seeing if someone in the front seat could pour water out of the window and get it to someone sitting on the back seat, head out of window.

At the bonfire