New Zealand

Auckland Travel Blog

Auckland

Got to New Zealand and as soon as I landed the little doggy that sniffs your bags to see if you are smuggling in foreign food to New Zealand stopped me. The guy went through my bag infront of everyone at the backage carousel, but it turned out that it was just because I had had apples in my bag 2 days earlier, good doggy. I was then nervous aswell as I was bringing in 2 litres of spirits duty free when the limit was 1, but the guy did not care.

I got on the bus to the hostel and it turned out the two girls I had shared a taxi with, Chrissie and Clare, were also heading there. Got to see a bit of auckland and new zealand on the way to the hostel and it is very much like england with a little bit of Neighbours thrown in. Got to the hostel and fell asleep for a bit.

The Harbour Bridge

Next day decided I want to change my flights out of New Zealand so I could have a couple more weeks. Sounds simple enough but it was a right kefuffle. First time I got through to someone who was very good but then my $10 phone card ran out before it could be finalised. I then got through to someone else who said that the only two places on my round the world ticket she recognised were delhi and London which installed no faith in me what she was doing, instead of putting me on hold she hung up on me. The third time I got through I was told it was sorted but to call back in 2 days to confirm it, but she never sent me an email confirmation.

I also went on a free tour around Auckland. It is probably the most average city I have ever been to. It has the sky tower which is the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere, and the Auckland Harbour Bridge which is not impresive. Walked up a hill to get a good view of the city.

In the evening I headed to the bar and bumped in to Alex and Charlotte who I had flown with from the cook islands to Fiji which was nice to see.

Next day I jumped on the Kiwi Experience which is a bus that drives around New Zealand and you can hop on and hop off where you want. It turned out I was also getting on the bus with Chrissie and Clare and got on and there was a good bunch of people and headed off to Mercury Bay.

photo by: Fulla