G'Day Australia

Melbourne Travel Blog

Losing at table tennis

Landed at the airport in Melbourne very tired nad got through customs without a hitch this time although it took forever. Found where the airport shuttle to St Kilda went from, but I had just missed one and as it was a sunday the next one did not come for another 2 hours which was longer than I first thought. So I went back in to the airport and got some food, then did what I do best and went on the internet for a bit and started to get used to the Australian accent which was harsher than the Kiwi one.

The weather in Melbourne was great so sitting outside was nice and got a bit of a view of the place on the way to St Kilda.

Federation Square
Got to the hostel and checked in and passed out straight away in bed I was so tired. When I woke upI looked out of the window to see Chrissy and Clare of Fiji and New Zealand fame. Went and chatted to them for a bit and we booked ourselves straight on to the neighbours night for the next day and then tried to book myself on to the Neighbours tour but it was fully booked whilst I was there, I had fallen victim to Neighbours brilliance and popularity. Went for a few beers, and then entered a table tennis competition where I got destroyed by someone who had been living on the hostel and was on top of his game and the preparation I had done with rob flack in tunisia 6 months earlier had not sufficed.

Melbourne was full of flies, really badly, the only time I can remember it being that bad was on a trip to the kennedy space centre in florida with my family and the woods and we were watching a shuttle launch from near some swamps or at least some water and we got anihalated.

MCG
On going in to central melbourne this was not nice, but the trams they had there were nice. Went to federation square which was quite nice and decked out in a massive advent callendar. Then we planned to go to the science museum in melbourne, but it is in the outskirts so reluctantly I gave up on science as there would not be enough time and I went to the MCG instead which was one of the biggest things I have ever scene holding up to 100,000 people. Got to go in to the dressing rooms and everywhere including on the grass. Went to the Melbourne museum aswell and got myself in for free and that was quite fun for a little bit.

Got back to the hostel and had to dash straight back out for the neighbours night.  This was good fun, although at first I thought it was going to be a bit tacky in the style of an 18-30s holiday to magaluf.

Rachel
The cast came round and were like performing monkeys and would get their picture taken with you. I met Rachel, Janelle, Malcolm Kennedy, Steve Parker (who noone knew), a man dressed up as bouncer the dog and Karl Kennedy who loved all the atention he got and his band performed which was quite good fun.

The next day I just relaxed a bit. The temperature got up to 37oC which was a little strange considering it was mid November, but travelling you lose track of what date and day it is anyway. Did some washing and cooked some good food, did a bit of reading then headed down to the beach once it had cooled down for a bit which was really nice, but quite busy.

That evening entered a pub quiz in the hostel and we managed to finish second with a team of 3 instead of a max of 8 and won $30 bar tab which would make my dad proud.

Booked a cheap flight to sydney with Jetstar which is an Easyjet equivalent, but even EasyJet dont fly from an airport this small, about the 3rd the size of Girona and it seemed to be a temporary structure in the middle of nowhere and it took me ages to find the bus to get there as it was almost hidden away. It was the first flight though when I had not known anyone at the airport which proved how easy it is to make friends travelling.

Karl Kennedy