Franz Josef and the Glacier

Franz Josef Travel Blog

The Glacier

The next morning was an early start which nobody really wanted but people got up. Many people were still in costume and it turned out some of them who had wanted to do the sky dive were going to have to go straight there to do it so Lorcan went up as an Umpa Lumpa and Clara still as a leopard.

On the bus people were still quite drink and we went to a Bushmans Museum. Here we got to watch one of the funniest videos ever about Kiwis hunting deer and jumping from helicopters on to them to capture them. it was filmed in a completely outrageous way and had to be seen. After this someone fed a pig, and the pig was sick on him. In the cafe I bought myself some possum pie. Possum doesnt have much flavour but it has the texture of stewing beef, it went down.

The Team

On the coach I took charge of the music being played on the bus and had a microphone forced on me to sing lady in red. I was far better than that guy who won Star's in Their Eye's a few years ago and won a standing ovation.

Things took a turn for the worse after this as the alcohol wore off and it was an incredibly long journey which feautres another reflection lake which was not reflective and lots of winding roads.

Franz Josef is only a small little town at the base of a glacier and I signed up to do the full day walk on it. The next morning i woke up with time to spare and decided to phone home. I got the time wrong that the glacier walk started and had to sprint there and rush through getting all my kit on. Walked to the base of the glacier and quickly remembered that I hated walking and unhappy camping trips to the peak district came flashing back.

Me doing a Dumb & Dumber impression
To make matters worse it started to rain, that fine rain that cuts straight through you. Visibilitiy was poor and everything was wet and I got even more miserable. We sat and ate lunch in the rain, and the ham that I had bought was horrible so I just had mayonaisse sandwhiches. I climbed through crevaces, up ice and through small holes. Once we got to the top of where we were going it cleared up and looked very beautiful and made the descent easier. The hot choclate back at the centre was much appreciated.

That night had a party in our room then went to the bar in the hostel for a bit of a boogie and had a good time and then came back to our room to party again to the early hours.

Franz Josef