Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

MBK shopping centre

Arrived at bangkok having been travelling for 16 hours and having had about 3 hours sleep in the last 36 hours and was very tired. Spent ages faffing about with filling in my visa card because I was tired but got through to see just my bag circling the luggage carousel. Picked it up and jumped in to a taxi to the hotel. My first impressions of bangkok were that it was a lot less bangkoky than I thought it would be. It could have been spain for example. Rocked up to the hotel and fell asleep, it was luxury though, a nice change from scabby hostels.

Woke up the next morning and tucked in to a massive breakfast which was nice. Spent the rest of the day shopping in the big MBK shopping mall. I was also suprised that I was not hassled that much by the thai shop owners to buy things, i was expecting it to be a nightmare, similar to Tijuana where you could not move for people wanting to sell you something and drag you in to the stroe.

Khoa San Road
Bought some nice fake merchandise, but took it easy as I did not want to be carrying it all around the world with me and new I was going back to Bangkok and then on to places like Hong Kong and Singapore where I could pick up some electrical bargains.

Went out in the evening to the Koh San Road (or however you spell it). It is the travellers central and had been warned that it was dodgy. Found it boring, a few bars that were pretty empty, forunatley I did not encounter any pick pockets but I was offered pretty much everything sexual by thai pimps or whatever they were, I politely declined and went to bed fairly early.

Next day more of the same, went back shopping and took it fairly easy. Was checking details for flight down to Koh Phangan but discovered that if I took the flight I had booked the connections would not work so had to pay for an earlier flight which was annoying but turned out to be a god send.

Had to awake early again the next day which was a killer to get to the airport and catch the flight down to Surat Thani on Air Asia, which is a budget airline but the interior of the plane was brand new and very nice.

Bangkok