Alex's Birthday

Auckland Travel Blog

Smelly hot mud

On the way to Auckland we stopped off at Rotorua again and went to some of the hot mud baths, they were quite cool to look at but smelt like rotten eggs because of all the sulphur in them. Did not see much of the place on the way down and it looked a lot better in the sunshine than the cloud of the previous visit.

Adam, Alex and I reached Auckland again and it was still treating me with the same contempt it had the first time, it was rainy again. Had to go to the ACB hostel this time as everything was full up because the Netball World Cup Final was on that weekend. At the hostel they were having an all you can eat night of Dominoes pizza so we signed up.

Jaeger Bombs
I have never seen so much pizza, the girls running it got it massively wrong. Firstly they were late so we were given free beer then the pizzas wouldnt stop. The 3 of us got through about 4 pizzas between us and then were given 6 pizzas to take home with us.

The next morning was Alex's birthday and we went to see if there were any cards for her posted to the hostel. I had put one there for her and I have never seen anyone so disapointed to receive a card, she stomped her feet and nearly cried, very offensive. We had a few lunch time drinks and then Alex said we would go to a place called "Food Alley" for lunch. She had described it as this wonderful place full of all different kinds of asian delights all very reasonably priced. At this point it began to rain so we got a march on.

Alex feeling sick
After an hour of not being able to find the place me and Adam returned to reception to find it once and for all, it had clearly been a mistake letting a woman navigate. It quickly turned out that no such place existed, but Auckland is littered with alleys with asian food. We got ourselves a curry which was a big mistake on an all day drinking session. Me and adam drunk through it but Alex was left with terrible gas slowing up all sorts of proceeding which were not helped with Strawpedos.

Some drinking in the room later we proceeded to the bar in the hostel and brough along hannah from our room. She had been living in the hostel for 5 months and working out there, she was a very quiet welsh girl. She played catchup with the drinking and overshot and was not allowed back in. Alex was forced to retireve her passport to prove her age despite being by far the oldest and was then told she had to drink some water as she was too drunk.

More Jaeger Bombs
Played a bit of pool and won. Then hit the dance floor for some dancing which is always good. At the end of the night munched down on some of the pizza from the day before, and left the box with a few peices in it in the hall way.

The next morning I awoke, there were no peices of pizza in the hall way. Where they had gone nobody knows. Spent a day very hungover. Saw some people protesting in the street. Booked myself somewhere to stay in Melbourne which turned out to be the same place a Mr R Wood stayed on his adventure to the other side of the world. I also booked a flight from melbourne to sydney which was cheap as chips. Felt sick all day and spent a good while in bed. That evening watched Old School again which was nice and fell asleep.

Had to wake up at 3:45am to get a taxi with Adam to the airport which was obscene. Leaving the hostel there were people eating kebabs and being very drunk which was hard to comprehend having just woken up and left me feeling a little nautous thinking about a kebab so early in the day. After some dilly dallying about because Virgin hadnt quite sorted out the change of my flights I got myself on to the flight, a nice 747 for once on Air New Zealand and even had the front bit of the cabin with extra leg room, though it was surrounded by lots of babies for the little cots you can get there. Also had to pay about $25 departure tax which I thought was very cheeky of New Zealand

Auckland