At this stage we go our own way...

San Francisco Travel Blog

Saying goodbye to new friends

Breakfast was a sad occasion today. Saying goodbye to new friends and heading off in different directions all around the world.

Those staying on the tour departed for Carmel on the bus shortly after breakfast, and the few like me, who stayed in the hotel for a couple of extra days and had flights booked out of San Francisco today, made our way to the airport. I had a very long day ahead of me. Because my plans had changed only weeks prior to me leaving Australia, I had tickets from San Fran to New York, and back to Seattle from Toronto. The airline wouldn’t let me change my itinerary to fly straight up to Seattle from San Fran, since I was no longer going to New York and Toronto. They were very generous though and let me change my flights to go San Fran to Chicago (as opposed to NY) and back to Seattle. So that’s what I did. I was upgraded to ‘first’ class on my flights though, not that first class was anything to write home about (the business class service in Australia was and still is a higher standard), but at least I didn’t have some incessant talker or worse, someone who would fall asleep on my shoulder and dribble on me, to sit next to.

I found it interesting that the flight attendants, after serving the ‘food’ (pffff), went through the economy cabin holding open big garbage bags and saying to people “Your trash”, “Your trash”. Now when I heard this, at first I thought they were calling the passengers names, I was hearing “You’re trash”, “You’re trash” I was thinking to myself, “These American flight attendants get away with a whole lot more than we would back home.”

I was pretty drained by the time I got to Seattle in the evening, but I perked up little when I saw my friend Judy waiting for me. I had met Judy on a cruise I took around the Caribbean a couple of years earlier and we hit it off straight away. When I wrote to her and told her I was coming to the states, she invited me to come and stay with her in her lovely home overlooking the stunning lake.

After my early morning and long flights, I was ready for an early night, so Judy showed me to my room and as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out light a light.

travellingaussie says:
What is a doowee? ... and don't you know it Sweetski, I know they meant "You're trash"
Posted on: Oct 25, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
LOL, Yeah it was pretty funny, it was funnier when they said "Your trash", "Your wife's trash" LOL if it was a guy he would probably end up with a black eye. :)
Posted on: Mar 08, 2008
Sweetski says:
LMOA and aload!!! "you're trash, you're trash" (reminds me of 'what's a doowee?') I bet at some occasions, the flight attendants did mean 'you're trash' while saying 'your trash', although hopefully not in first class :)
Posted on: Mar 08, 2008