Viva Las Vegas

Las Vegas Travel Blog

Tony getting dunked

Today was the day the daring on our tour took a dive from a tall tower towards a small pool with an elastic band wrapped around their ankles. I was not one of the daring. The tower was too tall and the pool too small. Basically, I was chicken. However, the last couple of people who were going to jump didn’t get the opportunity because the wind picked up and nearly blew one of the jumpers into the side of the pool. So, you see, I was smart.

It was exciting to watch, so I can only imagine the rush the jumpers felt. I had a great time though; plenty of margarita was available for the non-jumpers. A couple of great moments were, watching one of the girls ‘jump’, she actually looked like she fell off the tower, and she literally went down like a sack of potatoes.

The brave souls who jumped
The second was when one of the guys decided he wanted to watch the water come up to meet him and the sound when his face hit the water, “splat”, hurt everyone watching and left him with two black eyes. I have to admire them both though, because at least they did it.

When we checked into the hotel, Marie, our tour guide, asked us to dress up this evening for a special surprise and meet back at the bus. We did not know where we were going and it was all very mysterious. We were driving along when the bus pulled up and Marie jumped out saying she would be back in a minute. We had stopped in front of the Graceland Wedding Chapel, and we rightly thought we would be going in to have a look. Sure enough, Marie came back and asked us to follow her. “Going to the Chapel and we’re going to get married”

Once we were in the Chapel, the chaplain came out and told us we would be witnessing a wedding and we were just waiting for the groom to show.

Guest at the wedding
He went back out of the room and a few minutes later came back to tell us the groom had called and was not going to come and that the bride was inconsolable in the other room. Was there anyone in the room who would like to get married? Now, Shane and I had become close since the beginning of the tour, this evening I was wearing a long white outfit and everyone in the room turned to looked at us and a few even pointed. Marie stepped in and said she had someone else in mind and went over to another couple who had also met on the tour. Jeff and Luana left the room to prepare for their wedding. After a few more minutes, they came back through the back of the chapel and when we turned back to look at the front of the chapel Elvis was standing there.

He Lives! And, he performs weddings in Las Vegas. Elvis sung his way through the ceremony making the bride promise not to step on her grooms blue suede shoes and that the groom would love me (the bride) tender and be her ‘Teddy Bear’, etc, etc.

The King and I
This was a fantastic evening and no ‘Crying in the Chapel’ for us we had loads of fun. The wedding was just for show and Luana and Jeff didn’t really get married.

After the wedding, we had a show to get go to for the celebrations. The show we saw was at the Excalibur Casino, ‘King Arthurs Tournament’, where we ate with our hands, drank from tankards and cheered the Knights of the Round Table, Hazaar!!!

It was a fantastic day with lots of fun and excitement. His was a great introduction to what has become one of my favourite cities. Viva Las Vegas!

Adrian_Liston says:
Oh that is funny :)
Posted on: Sep 13, 2007
Sunflower300 says:
Hehehe... I didn't think of the bride... it was all a set up though, so there really was no jilted bride, I should have mentioned that, whoops.
Posted on: Sep 11, 2007
Adrian_Liston says:
The poor bride being jilted :(
The Elvis wedding comes a close second though :)
Posted on: Sep 11, 2007