Shock of arriving in London

London Travel Blog

Piccadilly circus

While waiting for my connecting flight in KL I met a lovely girl Stacey (an New Zealander moving to London), we exchanged details and planned to catch up during my trip.

I was so delighted to see Kylie waiting for me at the airport when I arrived at Heathrow. She had managed to make her way to London and I was very relieved.

The first thing that you couldnt help but notice upon arriving in London was the huge security. After changing tube lines about 5 times to make our way around the bombed stations to the closest open station to my hotel (Royal National Hotel) in Russell Square, we arrived to find just how close the hotel was to the bombings. When you walked out the rear entrance of the hotel and looked left you could see the red double decker bus that had been bombed covered in white sheeting, and to the right you could see Russel Square train station. The park at Russel Square was covered in flowers, and missing person posters, it was at tis time that I realised that if these people had not been found by now they were not coming back. I have never felt such sadness and emotions walking through this.

The security in London was amazing, you could not walk down any street without seeing fulling armed police everywhere. When I arrive at my room I discovered that outside my window was one of the  road block in the area, and that 3-4 police guarded the block at all times. It was a bit like having your own police guards, you could not feel safer (possilby the safest place in London at the time).

I met my new roommates Danielle and Megan, two lovely Aussie girls and I could tell from the first moment that we would get along really well.

Kylie and I were deterimined to make the best of the situation and headed to Piccadily Circus, so that I could get my first glimps of London. AWESOME!! The energy that this city gives off is like nothing I have ever experienced before.

That night we went to sleep listening the the pommy acsents of the English police outside out window.

London