Old town Krakow

Krakow Travel Blog

Today I went to look around the old town as I hadn't yet had the chance to do so and was leaving later this evening.

I started off with the castle (Wawel), which didn't look too promising from the outside but once you got in the main courtyard was ok. Visited the cathedral, bell tower and the crypts.

Then I walked all the way around the Planty (thin strip of green-belt around the old town) before finding lunch in market square. Then I went up the tower at St Mary's, from where the trumpeter plays his tune. Good views over the old town here, but you have to mind your head on some of the low wooden beams.

I walked around a little more before going back to the hostel for a rest. Eventually went for a beer with a couple of americans, one of which was getting louder the more he drunk. Fortunately, Kate and Imogen got back from their sight-seeing and we sneaked out with Chris for dinner, while those guys were trying to sort out where they wanted to go.

Wolfed down some pirogi for dinner and a pint of beer before running back to the hostel and then to the train station to catch the notorious night train to Prague. There wasn't any trouble near our carriage, so the night was reasonably peaceful and the pillow was much better this time.
photo by: EmyG