Arrival in Vienna, with a quick trip across to Bratislava

Vienna Travel Blog

The night train experience was more harrowing than I expected. First of all, the train left about 20 minutes late. I had been led to expect two visits by border police, one at 1.30am and the other at 7.30am. At this point I was sharing the 4 berth cabin with a french girl called Florence, who was very surprised that I knew her home town of Frejus.

At Novi Sad, a couple of dutch guys got on, which meant disrupted sleep for a while and having to move stuff around.

Then after the first stop, where the Serbian border authorities came on, there was another at 3am by the Hungarians. Then there was the Budapest stop at 6.30am and another control at 9am. We ended up arriving at 10.30, an hour and half later than expected.

Once I found the hostel, I left my bag (because the room wasn't ready) and went unwashed to try and get a boat down to Bratislava. Unfortunately it was all booked up, so I took the train instead.

I'm glad to say the weather improved overnight, so it's bright sunshine again though nowhere near as hot as before.

Bratislava is pleasant, if a little small. I was looking for the 25p pints of beer that someone had assured me could be found.  No luck, came home empty handed.

photo by: EmyG