Bean there, done that. . .

Chicago Travel Blog

After a perfect night sleep, we headed into town! Yeah, between the shuttle to the hotel and the El ride, it took around 45- 50 minutes, but it wasn't terrible. We eventually decided to stop for breakfast and chose a random stop. We walked out of the El to find "The Windy City Cafe"... Perfect! It was great to sit there, sip my orange juice and chat with a friend. :)

Going into this trip, we had a few things in mind we wanted to do and see, but really nothing to planned out. So we just wondered around. No matter which way we went, we stumbled upon something amazing! This city is amazing. There is a park around every corner! I loved all the green space, flowers and trees.

When we came upon Millennium Park it was spectacular! The art, the architecture the open space! We loved the bean, Crown Fountain, and Pavillion.
There are also other sculputures around the park that are intriguing.

We then headed toward Buckingham Fountain. I had no idea how huge this thing really is. It is a spectacular site! We picked up ice cream at the little shop right there, and sat on the steps between the Fountain and Lake Michigan and enjoyed the moment. It couldn't have been more ideal.

Moving toward Shedd Aquarium we noticed a sidewalk lined with sculpted globes (later found out it was part of the  "CoolGlobes: Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet" project). Each globe had a theme relating to keeping our planet healthy and making it a better place for all!
The photographer in my kicked in and I  started taking photos of all the globes. There are all so beautiful and creative.
however, rounding the first corner, I saw the MANY ahead. Unfortunately, I didn't get photos of them all, however, now looking they are all featured online :)

We finally made it to Shedd Aquarium. We only had a couple hours to explore here, but had a great time. It was a nice place to explore out of the heat of the day.

Around 5:30 we headed back toward downtown. The only thing we had booked ahead of time were tickets to "Wicked". And we needed to find Ford Theater. With the construction in that area it made it a little more tricky for us small town gals, but we located it. We quickly picked up food and then headed to the musical.

The musical was absolutely breathtaking. We walked out of the theater in amazment. The story line, the costumes, the talent.... it was a must see, again and again!

It had been a long day, so we headed back to the hotel. We packed alot of stuff in one day. We did a lot of walking  and our feet hurt, but it had been a great day!

. . . with a little photo stitching
. . . with a little photo stitching
Chicago Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The is conveniently right off the blue line and made a perfect breakfast stop. There is nothing fancy about it, just good old home-style cooking :) Th… read entire review
577 km (359 miles) traveled