AsiaChinaBeijing

Always new surprises

Beijing Travel Blog

the lady =-)
So lindsey and I went on a mini-excursion during the清明節long weekend, when everyone else went to xi'an. we wanted to go to the Beijing Art Museum, but we got off two wrong stops, yes, twice. Twice the ticket people let us back in. It was funny. And of course, when lindsey was talking, everyone asked if we were korean, and we usually said yes. It turned out it's actually fun speaking horrible chinese.
Anyhow, we finally got off at the Wangfujing station, and just trying to find the bus stop to go to the museum. We walked by the National Art College 中央美术学院的美术馆 and we were like hey let's go in. They were having an art show of this lady artist. Funny thing was, she was standing outside, at the front door, right underneath her huge banner! IT was funny, looking up to the banner and see her face, and look down and see her real face.
her paintings
We hurriedly in while the organizers, I supposed thats who they were, were taking a group picture with her, underneath the banner, at the front door. When they saw us approaching the gallery, they literally pulled us into the picture. It was just the randomest act ever. Then after the really awkward picture-taking moment, we bought tickets and walked in. We were just strolling around, admiring paintings, and this middle-aged chinese man who pulled us into the picture ran into the gallery and asked to take pictures with the two of us. Another really awkwardly random thing. We took the picture, and then he gave us his name cards without saying much, and ran back out, and was never seen again. The even weirder thing was he basically gave us his home and cell numbers, written onto his name card.
Weird.
I liked her works. It was not as pretentious as the 798 artists. I really didn't like 798, by the way.
Then we finished touring the 2/f show, and then we were determined to proceed to our intended destination. Found the bus stop, got on the bus, got off at the right stop, and we were hungry. Went into this regional noodles place, I liked it and was stuffed (actually I wasn't that hungry to begin with). Walked across the street and into the museum.
I was dissappointed. In fact, I was dissappointed at the whole Beijing art scene. I didn't like 798, which was supposed to be THE art district, and now, the NATIONAL art museum was just...alright. No note-worthy exhibits, and the design was somewhat tacky as well, not horrible, but... nothing inspiring.
AFterwards, we just walked around the museum. We went into this hutong, and it looked... really new, like, all concrete and clean. Interesting nonetheless because although a less dramatic reality, it's reality.
Then we got tired and went home.
THat was it.
I feel like a tourist in Beijing all over again. There are just so many hidden places yet have to be visited, in this city.
the hutong
Awww juho and yi
Awww juho and yi
heh luna =-)
heh luna =-)
pigs brains! they taste like tofu…
pigs' brains! they taste like tof…
Beijing