Huancavelica

Huancavelica Travel Blog

Huancavelica is a popular follow-on destination from Huancayo as there is a direct train. (Popular in this sense means that maybe 1 out of every 8 people I met at La Casa was headed there. Which is probably not a whole lot in the scheme of things.) The Lonely Planet gives Huancavelica about half a page. I caught the train from Huancayo at 6.30am and arrived here about midday. Normally I would be worried about arriving in a new place without a map or a place to stay, but from what others have had to say about it, I knew it would be fine. I followed the stream of passengers from the train and found myself on the main road in no time. Unfortunately, while I looked for one of the hostels mentioned in the guidebook, I couldn´t find it (later I realised I was at the wrong plaza. Such a small town and they have two plazas?). So I ended up in Hostal Virrey. My room feels like a prison cell, which is why I´ve spent the last 3 hours in an internet cafe. I wasn´t sure whether I´d be spending 1 or 2 nights in Huancavelica, but the hostel made my mind up. No toilet paper in the toilets (not even a provision for it, like a little metal rod; I think you have to buy it) and the tap doesn´t work in the girl´s toilet, and only erratically in the boys´. At least, at least, I  have a bed, a desk and a chair. Yay. I  haven´t yet asked about hot water but I suspect it´s going to be somewhat erratic too. I might wait till I get to Ica.

The town itself is even more tranquilo than Huancayo, hardly any cars, a nice quiet plaza surrounded by pretty colonial style buildings and a very beautiful mountain presence. The mountains are right up and close to the town (probably more correct to say, they built the town right at the base of the mountains). I hope the residents here appreciate the town´s beauty!

There´s not much to do here though; lots of little restaurants as usual and a bar or two, so I´ve decided to take it easy and spend the night catching up on reading. I´m excited because I found Gabriel Garcia Marquez´s book 100 Years of Solitude, in castellano! A pity I have to read it in the fluorescent-lit prison cell atmosphere of my room once it gets dark.

David says:
Boo fluorescent lights!
Posted on: Jun 02, 2006
Huancavelica Hostels review
Like a gaol cell...
Room: I`ve likened it to a gaol cell, but maybe I´m being too harsh. Bare, dirty walls painted blue. A bed, desk, chair and fluroescent light. No win… read entire review
Huancavelica