Day 2, Au revoir

Paris Travel Blog

 › entry 2 of 2 › view all entries
First stop on my sunday schedule was the Cimetière du Montparnasse, which was a long way away. I checked out of the hotel after breakfast, somewhere around 8am, said goodbye to the little leprechaun and walked to the subway, hoping not to run into any neighbours.

I took Line 4 in the direction of Porte d'Orléans and got out at Raspail, the 17th stop. The cemetery was right next to the subway station. It was big. It was well kept. However, it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped. It lacks the charm of Père Lachaise. Still, there are a few pretty sights, like the angel statue in the center of the cemetery.

Close by, I found the grave of enfant terrible, Serge Gainsbourg.

I took the subway to Bir-Hakeim and followed the tourists to the Eifel Tower. The sheer size of the damn thing still baffles me. It makes you wonder how on earth they managed to build it back in those days.

I crossed the Pont D'Iéna and walked up to the Trocadero, turned around and took this rather cool shot of the Eifel tower, if I say so myself.

Then it was back on the subway to Jasmin and the Avenue Mozart, where at number 122 is the amazing Hotel Guimard, home of the Art Nouveau master. What Horta is to Belgium, is Guimard to Paris. Well, in my opinion anyway.

After taking about 50 pictures, I walked to the Rue Fontaine, where I found more works by Hector Guimard, like these 2 right here.

Further down the street, I came to what I was really looking for. If you know a little bit about Art Nouveau, you must have seen this gate.

This gate is the only thing they ever show in the books, but the rest of the house is fucking unbelievable too. I was just mesmerized by it and took picture after picture.

Back to the subway and a short hop to Alma/Marceau, where I crossed the Seine again and walked down the Avenue Rapp, where this amazing building is, with an even more amazing entrance...

By now it was 2pm and I was starving again. I walked back to the subway and traveled to the Champs Elysées, where I exited near the Arc de Triomphe.

I walked down the Champs Elysées again, grabbed a hot-dog and a bottle of water and sat on a bench for quite some time, enjoying the spring sun. I then made my way towards the Seine and walked all the way to the Pont Neuf.

On the Isle de la Cité, I went to the Notre Dame.

Took the subway to Les Halles, where I had another coffee and decided it would be best to make my way to the Gare du Nord to wait for my train.

The Thalys left around 6pm. I took my MP3 player out and cranked up the volume. Vive la Fête was on. Nice way to end a great weekend.

Oh yeah, I love Paris.

I'll be back.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
photo by: Sweetski