Berlin, Day 4 & 5

Berlin Travel Blog

OK, so too much schwartzbier gives you a headache. Something to remember for next time. Which is why breakfast was kind of an ordeal with everyone else in the dining room talking WAY too loud. Manfred, the owner, looked at me and said 'Rough night? I'll get you some coffee.' What a nice guy.

When I walked outside and down the street to the Kurfürstendamm, I noticed something was different. It was way too quiet for a tuesday morning. I picked up some donuts at Dunkin Donuts and asked what the Hell was going on. "Oh, it's a holiday," the girl behind the counter said. Then I remembered the little stalls behind the Brandenburger Tor the day before and the big signs that read "Fest zum Tag der Deutschen Einheit" or 'unification day celebration', but I didn't have a clue WHEN it was. So today was the day... fuck... This could very well mean the Bröhan Museum and pretty much everything else would be closed...

But I kept walking, down Kurfürstendamm to the Europa Center, where this really cool fountain/artwork is.

A little further down the street is this other sculpture, which I think is pretty funky.

Close to the Wittenbergplatz is KaDeWe or 'Kaufhaus Der Westen', which would be Berlin's "Harrod's". Ofcourse, today, it was closed as well.

OK then, let's walk to the Siegessäule, and let me tell you, kids... that is ONE HELL of a walk!

I walked west on the Strasse des 17 Juni and through the park to Zoo Station, where I took the U-Bahn to Sophie-Charlotte Platz, and walked along Schlossstrasse to the Bröhan Museum, which, thank god, was open.

It was rather small, but had a few very nice Art Nouveau furniture pieces, as well as chandeliers and glasswork. Very nice and definately worth the whole damn journey.

Further down the street was the Schloss Charlottenburg, which I did not visit, but just looked at for a while from a safe distance.

And then I headed back to the subway and went east again to the Brandenburger Gate to join the festivities. There was bratwurst and currywurst and ofcourse lots and lots of beer, drunken Germans and people throwing up in the bushes. Fun!!!

The rest of the day was spent exploring the side streets of Unter Den Linden and resting my feet at the Irish Pub at the Europacenter, a visit to the Hard Rock Cafe, dinner, and talking to Klaus and some American kid at the King's Pub.

And then it was wednesday and time to go home. I said goodbye to Manfred, grabbed my bag and took the U-Bahn to Tempelhof airport, where I waited for my flight back to Brussels. It was on time, and 2 trains later, around 3:30pm, I was back home.

photo by: CFD