Berlin, Day 3

Berlin Travel Blog

Today I was going to do some touristy stuff. I left the hotel around 9am since those schwarzbier really made me sleep better. And I closed the window. Every little bit helps.

So I took the subway to Hallisches Tor and then switched to the U6 north and got off at Kochstrasse, which was right at Checkpoint Charlie.

Which isn't even the real thing anymore, just like this sign, which is a replica.

I walked north on Friedrichstrasse and had a coffee at Starbucks. That's when I got a message from Fong, saying maybe it would be better if we met somewhere around 3pm for a drink. North exit of Hackescher Markt, she said. I checked my map. OK, not to far from Alexanderplatz, so I said ok, see you there.

I took a right on Taubestrasse and found the Gendarmenmarkt with the Konzerthaus and the French and German Dom. Waiting for tourists was the Trabi Safari. Funny little cars, but I wouldn't be caught dead driving one. I wondered if they broke down along the way, would you get your money back?

Further north I came to Under Den Linden and took a left, which led me to the Brandenburger Tor, which... I don't know... just seemed a lot smaller than I had imagined. I mean, I remember the scenes on TV from the Unification of both Germanies and it all looked so immense. But this was tiny. I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed.

I walked underneath the gate and went left, which led me to the controversial Monument for the Murdered Jews. Controversial because among other things it took forever to build and cost a fortune.

I went back to the Brandenburger Tor and continued to the Reichstag, where about 2500 people were waiting in line to get in. I wisely decided to pass, so I walked around it and got back to Unter Den Linden and continued east, walking past shops, libraries and museums. I crossed the Schlossbr├╝cke and found myself on Museum Island, with the Berliner Dom in front of me.

Quite Impressive.

Further east was the Marx-Engels Forum. I tried to take a picture of the two geezers but there was always someone posing next to them, or sitting on their lap, so after about 15 minutes, I thought, fuck it and took a picture anyway.

On to Alexanderplatz.

By now it was close to 2pm, so I walked to Hackescher Markt and found an Irish pub, which is always something nice to discover, especially when they're open. Lisa showed up an hour later and we walked around a bit. We ended up back at Alexanderplatz to hunt for Kinder Eggs, which I'm glad to say, we found.

And then it was time to say goodbye, but we promised each other we'd meet again next year, somewhere on the planet. I know we will. We have a connection. I'm sure we'll see each other again soon.

When she had left, I took the subway to the Kulturforum for the Preview Art Show, which was a bloody waste of time. I didn't stick around for long, but took the subway back to Potsdamer Platz, where I took some pics in the twilight.

And then the trip back to the hotel. I got out of the subway at Wittenberg Platz and decided to walk the rest of the way. I went for dinner and then came back to the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Ged├Ąchtniskirche, which looked very special at night.

The rest of the night was spent in the "King's Pub". It was a very long night.
Berlin