My dorm

Nagareyama Travel Blog

I live about an hour outside of Tokyo in the sleepy town of Minami Nagareyama, in Chiba-ken. It's definitely a step away from the hustle and bustle of city life, but I enjoy the small town atmosphere. Things in small towns feel even smaller when you're a foreigner there.

I have a single dorm that is part of a larger dorm facility run by an older couple. There are daily fresh prepared Japanese meals, a community bath, and over 60 residents (mix of CIEE students, international students, and Japanese students/professionals).

Minami Nagareyama, like most suburbs near Tokyo, is where many people who work in Tokyo live. So everyday, many will travel over an hour at times, to get into the city to work. Thanks to Japan's impeccable train network, this is not as difficult as it sounds.
i couldn't resist the cute horse trash can that i bought at the hyaku-en shop.
I will quickly become part of this commuter, er, community.

All of the town's residents drive cars, walk, and many of them (no matter the age or gender) ride bicycles around town. The dorm lies right next to a river and is about a 15 minute walk to the train station. I hope maybe I can get a bike, complete with bell and basket, to use for running errands around town and exploring.

Every evening, there is a curfew where the doors lock at midnight and don't open again until 6:30am. So, if you go out for a late night into the city and don't plan to be back before 12am, you can expect to stay out all night, especially since the trains stop running around 12-1am. (Apparently this is an accepted social norm in Japan and many places cater to the out-all-nightife)

I can tell this town will grow on me, even though it is a little far away from the action of the city.
i couldnt resist the cute horse t…
i couldn't resist the cute horse …
Nagareyama