Day 1, Setup

New York Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 3 › view all entries

I was lucky enough to be part of a group show at Strychnin Gallery in NYC at the beginning of 2007. The show was called 'Dark Hearts and Broken Vows' and was an 'alternative' Valentine's Day show. My good friend Lisa, who I've known for allmost 8 years now, recently moved from Seattle to NYC. Astoria to be precise. She was most gracious to let me crash at her place during my visit.


The whole thing was off to a bad start. Around 7am on thursday, it started to snow, so by the time I got to Brussels airport there was about half an inch on the ground. Apparently that is enough to plunge this whole country into total and utter chaos.

I boarded the plane around 11am. Two hours later, the tv screen said "total distance travelled: half a fucking inch". Ok, so it didn't say that, but we sat there for 2 hours, twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the plane to be de-iced. At one point, I was going to suggest all the men got out and start peeing on the wings to get the ice off. We would have been out of there in like 3 minutes!

You should know I hate flying, but I'm not going to go into that here. Suffice to say, I arrived at JFK 90 minutes late and dead tired. I had managed to text my friend Lisa to tell her I'd be late, so she was waiting for me when I got out of the terminal. We took the air-train and then the subway into Manhattan, grabbed some coffee, and then headed straight to Strychnin Gallery.

Yasha, the gallery owner, was there, and so were artists David Hochbaum, Kris Kuksi and Dutchman Daniel Van Nes, whose plane had NOT been delayed, lucky bastard. Since David left at 6pm and Kris was busy touching up his 2 amazing sculptures, Lisa, Daniel and I started putting up the show. This included hammering, drilling, looking for nails, stealing the only hammer present from each other, cursing those bloody Yanks for still not having switched to the metric system, eating a mix of Italian/vegetarian/Chinese food, hanging a painting upside down (not our fault), having Yasha go 'no, no, no, I don't like that one there', taking stuff back off the walls, hitting our head on the wall repeatedly, drilling new holes, and almost passing out with fatigue.

But, at 11pm, everything was up and we retreated to Paul Booth's tattoo place next door for a drink, before taking the train to Astoria and some much needed rest.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
New York
photo by: herman_munster