Part 3. (Ayuthaya)

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

Former royal town.

The night before we decided to do today a day trip to Ayuthaya, the former Thai capital and a Unesco World Heritage site.It’s not too far away from Bangkok, according to our information the bus ride shouldn’t take longer then 2 hours. A good day trip before taking the night bus to Laos. We just had to get there somehow. Christine knew which city bus we had to take to get to one of the bus terminals, there we could catch then a bus to Ayuthaya. With this plan in our heads we went out to get some good breakfast.

There isn’t much to say about the ride to Ayuthaya, we managed everything without any problems. The problem appeared after our arrival. There was a map of this town in my Lonely Planet guide book, fine, but we had no idea where exactly we got off. We tried to ask locals we met, but each person we asked seemed to send us to a different direction then the previous one.

Pretty confusing. I mean, we knew that Ayuthaya’s historic temples were scattered throughout the city, but so far we couldn’t see any of them. We walked forward and back, turned right, returned back and so on. And all this in an incredible heat, uffff.

Somehow we got suddenly to one of sights, this one was called Wat Phra Mahathat. Allright, first a short explanation about the word what…I mean “wat”. So, what’s a wat? Foreigners coming to Thailand will be confrontated with this word quite often. It means in general a temple or a temple monastery.

What you can see in Ayuthaya are mainly ruins of the former wats, as the city was defeated in the past by Burmese who looted the city’s architectural and religious treasures. The remains are still impressive, no doubts about that.

Christine and me posing.
All around were huge red and orange brick columns which looked like big torpedoes. We walked between them and took pictures of these magnificent remarks of Thai history.

As we had to be back in Bangkok in time, we decided to visit only the most famous and significant places of Ayuthaya. To shorten up our way we just jumped over a low fence of bricks to leave Wat Phra Mahathat and passed by the lake Beung Phra Ram. Of course we paid the entrance fee before, we just left the wat area in a slightly unusual way, hahaha.

The next places we visited were Wihaan Phra Mngkhon Bophit and Wat Phra Si Sanphet. A little remark. Don’t think I remember all this names, I’m just using the Lonely Planet guide book I have now in front of me, hehe. Anyway, the first of this two places houses a huge bronze statue of a sitting Buddha. The second place served first as the royal palace and later as a temple place.

It offers three bell-shaped towers that tappered off into descending rings. Unfortunatly we had no much time left and after a little refreshment in form of coconuts we decided to walk direction the bus stop. It wasn’t the same one as by our arrival, at least this bus stop was closer. If we could believe the map in my Lonely Planet guide book.

However, everything went well, we found the bus stop without any problems and didn’t even have to wait long for the bus which was supposed to bring us back to Bangkok.

Back in the hostel we took a shower and had a little rest. We had done the check-out already in the morning and the hostel stuff didn’t mind to keep our luggage till our departure.

Around 6pm we suddenly walked direction Khao San road where we picked up first our passports with the new Cambodian visas.

Just amazing.
Then we just hanged around till it was time for our night bus to Laos. I was pretty exited to see this still communistic country next day and to see my Lao friend Mit for the first time since I left Japan.

Sergej posing.
Sergej posing.
Golden statue.
Golden statue.
Me and Pavel posing, hehe.
Me and Pavel posing, hehe.
A temple.
A temple.
A golden buddha.
A golden buddha.
Trying coconut milk.
Trying coconut milk.
Sergej taking pictures of cows.
Sergej taking pictures of cows.
Tourists riding elephants.