Monday and canyons in the Kanab area

Kanab Travel Blog

Hiking through a slot canyon
     We only hiked 5 miles today and it was relatively level (about time!).  The first of  the 3 places we went was another slot canyon  8 miles down a single lane dirt road and then hiking down a dry wash for 2 more miles into a canyon only 2 feet wide.  This was spectacular even though we arrived a little before the sun was straight overhead.  As we left we passed several groups hiking in for the peak time.

Second stop was walking down another dry wash to some bizarre rock formations called toadstools.  Interesting but it was getting hot and hiking thru a flat desert is not the way to spend the afternoon.

The third stop was driving to an abandoned movie set and a nearby ghost town.  Very picturesque.  All in all a fun day with very different scenery.  Tomorrow we’ll drive to Salt Lake City and we may not have internet access there.  If not I’ll catch up on the photos when we get to Yellowstone.

kingelvis14 says:
Are you familiar with Lake Powell? Red rock canyons that have been flooded ~ breathtaking.
Posted on: Jan 25, 2008
WaltJake says:
I wish I knew about this website before my cross country trip! I'm finding a lot of places I would have visited, like this one, I was near but didn't know about!
Posted on: Feb 11, 2007
Its called a toadstool
It's called a "toadstool"
photo by: venusgurl28