Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Akron Travel Blog

The first waterfall we came to.
I'd say 99% of the time if I want to see something different I take a trip, however after moving back to Ohio a friend of mine decided she wanted to come visit. It's always tough trying to figure out what to do to entertain guests. I'd heard about how beautiful wandering around the Cuyahoga Valley National Park could be but had never taken the time to take the quick drive north and check it out for myself. My friend Natalie coming to visit gave me that opportunity, one that I probably would've kept putting off if not having a specific reason to go there. So we got some sandwiches and water, put it in a backpack and off we went. I can't begin to guess the number of different exits you can take or different places you can park so we just randomly picked one and got out and looked at map that was there of the area.
Natalie at the first waterfall.
From there we were able to ascertain where we should go to be able to see a waterfall or two, which was our goal for the day. So, back in the car and a few more twists and turns later, we parked and headed out on foot. Initially we came upon a small waterfall complete with a few people taking pictures and then as there are no signs pointing which way to go we just picked a direction and went. Through trees, up and down inclines, across a open field, and more or less untouched forrest. I couldn't believe I'd had this area right within my reach and had never been before. The few people we passed, smiled and said hi. As we headed back someone asked us if we'd seen the second waterfall in the area so thanks to a little guidance from him we wandered in that direction and found it. Well worth the walking time to get there. And of course with all the tree cover you barely felt the heat of the July day.
The trees..