California Here I Come!

San Francisco Travel Blog

Bartlett Hall

While I love San Francisco, I was not looking forward to the trip to get there. I used to love to fly, but now I have a lot of trepidation about flying across country in a small plane that is almost always uncomfortably crowded.

My flight from Baton Rouge to Dallas, the first leg of the trip, was on just as small a plane as I feared -- and just as crowded. I was pleasantly surprised to find my friend Anthony on the same flight and seated next to me. That gave me someone to talk to on the flight, though Anthony was only going to Dallas and would not be going on to San Francisco. The flight was uneventful.

I had a two hour lay-over in Dallas, so I ate lunch at the airport there.

The flight from Dallas to san Francisco was on a big plane (an Airbus 321) . . . and surprisingly it was not crowded. I watched The Dark Tower on the flight and was disappointed that it did not come close to following Stephen King's Dark Tower series; I was glad I did not pay to see it in the theatre.

Landing in San Francisco close to 4:00 PM, I grabbed BART into the city. My hotel was two blocks off Union Square, a part of the city I have not stayed in on previous visits, so the BART station at the foot of Powell Street was a convenient stop. I then walked the four blocks to the hotel . . . only to find the doors locked and no one visible at the front desk. I pounded on the door and after a few rounds of knocks, a young woman came from the back and unlocked the door. It was not an auspicious beginning, but I checked in.

I was exhausted from the day of travel after checking in, so I decided to just grab dinner and call it a day. Checking on line, I found that Bartlett Hall, billed as one of San Francisco's best brew pubs, was only a couple of blocks away, so I decided to check it out. I decided to try a beer before ordering. The first beer I ordered sounded interesting with hints of fruit, but the server insisted I try a taster before ordering a glass, warning me that it was very sour -- she was not kidding; I could not drink it. I decided to be safe and do a Bartlett Blonde, which was great. Since this is a pub, I decided on pub grub, fish and chips, for dinner. The fish, Pacific snapper, was amazing -- light and crispy and very tasty -- and the chips were great too. I was happy that this was my first meal in San Francisco.

San Francisco Hotels & Accommodations review
I chose the Union Square Plaza because it was less expensive than some of the other hotels in the area. It was OK -- a small room and one of the world… read entire review