A Brexit Starter

Leicester Travel Blog

My group of London friends had organised a finale for our Australian friend, who had decided to move back home after several years in the big smoke.  He had chosen his swan song to be in Leicester, where we could make a bit of a day of it, and go watch the Twenty20 at Grace Road, and hopefully space out the drinking enough to make sure we didn’t go out and stay out too late.  For me personally, I couldn’t have been any happier with that decision, as I really didn’t want to miss out on a leaving do, but needed to balance that with an early start and drive to Manchester to catch my flight to Porto.

I had been working really hard on emptying a house, and on return I had finally managed to secure a transfer back to Manchester, and would be leaving Nottingham rather promptly.  With my usual organisation, I had made it rather hasty on myself.  With the holiday being the tidy end point to my job in Nottingham, it had made sense to call it quits there, and move out in preparation to rent the house out.  With a final full English breakfast cooked in my kitchen, I was on my way driving the short journey down the M1, and was in Leicester by lunchtime.  To my surprise, I was actually the last to arrive, and once I’d stored my belongings in the hotel, I was on my way to the pub.

It wasn’t long before we’d all drank a few, and filled up on the usual pub grub, before leaving for Grace Road.

A quick Uber later, and we were all there, in the small ground of largely standing spectators.  We positioned ourselves particularly close to the dugouts, and I was within 10m of the likes of David Willie, Adil Rashid, Tim Bresnan, Adam Lyth, and Liam Plunkett.  It was great for me being a huge fan of cricket, and England to see so many international quality players.  Yorkshire are absolutely blessed with talent, and the side they fielded was without their biggest stars of Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, and Gary Balance, who were all away on international duty.  They did field Australia’s Shaun Marsh, and he was up against the Kiwi star, Luke Ronchi.  Yorkshire were clear favourites, but struggled to contain Ronchi, and ultimately fell short with the bat too.  It was a reasonably low scoring fixture by current T20 standards, but enjoyable non-the-less.
  Even Jack Russell was around the ground doing book signings, but I was enjoying the beers too much to be bothered to get an autograph.

Nicely stewed up, we went back to the hotel to get changed and washed before meeting back up in the bar for a few more drinks.  We didn’t shy too far away from a night out, and impressively made a fair night of it.  I had to stop drinking though from fear of hangover, and missing my flight, and in honesty, was dreading driving on a hangover.  A kebab to finish on, and final goodbyes to a good friend, and it was time for bed.

Leicester