Walking to the West City Gate, Leiden, Netherlands

Leiden Travel Blog

Lieden Centraal

I was "beamed down" to Leiden Centraal, (with the help of an electric train.) I had my rolling bags and a free Leiden city map; but did not know what way to walk. I met a nice Hollander who gave me good directions to my hotel. When in Leiden why not stay in the Rembrandt Hotel? I checked into the hotel and dropped off my bags in my room. I got my small blue bag with dehydrated fruit and hydro and started meandering around Leiden looking for nice places.

From outside my hotel front door Molenmuseum De Valk was a good quick choice. I did pass on this nice windmill, knowing that I would never leave Leiden without experiencing a full tour of this fine windmill museum.

Walking along canals and row buildings never gets old for me in Nederland. There was a nice canal poort there also.

Rembrandt Hotel Restaurant
I think in Leiden that the poort and major canals are due to the slow flow of the Rijn River.

It did not take long for me to find the Leiden West City Gate. I think they call the Gate Morspoort. I relaxed there for a while, long enough for hydro and to take a "selfie".

Just across Morsstraat was a neat free windmill open to the public; though I have no name for that windmill. I walked up the steep stairs to the mid section of the windmill. There were large old gears connected to a thick vertical shaft. I think the energy from the topside windmill fans power the long vertical shaft connecting to the large gears that transfer energy to the lower windmill large mill stone.

I was burning daylight. With only four days in Leiden I had to scoot on to other nice places.

completed

walterman9999 says:
Good for you Ils, a very nice place that very few Texicans will ever see.
Posted on: Feb 14, 2018