Delhi, the Last Day of the Tour

New Delhi Travel Blog

 › entry 15 of 15 › view all entries
I took a half dose of Aleve PM for my headache and to help me sleep last night, and I slept right through to 7:30...and we had to be in the lobby at 8am, so it was a rush to get packed and ready. When we got down there, VJ said the train was late, so we had time to rush up to the revolving restaurant for the breakfast buffet, which we ate outside on the patio because neither of the guys could stomach the revolving thing. We all ate “beige” food - pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, cheese sandwich - to calm our stomachs.

We took the van to the Red Fort, which was much carved detail, and apparently you can only see a third of it...the rest is still being used by the government. There’s a palace inside the fort (where the ruler who built the Taj Mahal lived). The princesses quarters were particularly beautiful with all the carved marble. Some of the marble surrounding the windows which face the Taj Mahal is translucent with the morning sun.

We stopped at a Cafe Coffee Day for cappuccinos to go, and I grabbed a couple of wrapped sandwiches there for our train trip to Delhi. Arriving at the station, we learned the train is another hour late, so I took the opportunity to catch up on my journal.

The train was the same one we had taken overnight...but when we entered late morning, there were still folks sleeping, and the bunks were still down. One side had the seats back in place, so 3 of us sat there, Kris laid down on the bottom bunk, Morgan, SJ and Jeremy hopped into upper bunks and napped, and VJ stretched out on the long one across from us (the bunks on the side were a bit longer than the ones in each compartment of 6. In the daytime, the train had a lot more activity...chaiwallas wandering through calling out, “Coffeechai!” like it was one word, the newspaper sellers who put the paper right on top of you, book sellers (including English books), samosa sellers, snacks, etc.

The train was 5 hours late, so we missed our 6pm meeting with our new tour group. VJ kept in contact with the new tour leader and so we went to the Pooja Palace Hotel (which is around the corner from the Hotel Surya International, where we stayed with the new group) and left our bags there as the new group arrived to pick us up for dinner. We said goodbye to our old tour mates and headed off with the new group
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
New Delhi
photo by: spocklogic